painting

Old 10-22-01, 01:27 AM
Visiting Guest
I have made a game table and painted a checkers board on it and now I would like to seal it with a clear coat so it will resist water rings and other stains. Can you tell me what product to use? thank you

Old 10-24-01, 02:42 AM
cgrant
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by daisy spell
I have made a game table and painted a checkers board on it and now I would like to seal it with a clear coat so it will resist water rings and other stains. Can you tell me what product to use? thank you
Reply from cgrant:
I would use "Flecto" high gloss varathane, apply two to three coats. Sand lightly after the first coat and before
each following coat. Do not shake or stir the varathane
before use and avoid over brushing the varathane when applying as this will cause air bubbles in the finish.
You do not mention what was used to paint the checker board
design on your table top. If it was an enamel paint, go ahead with the varathane finish but lightly sand the enamel
finish before applying the varathane. If your design was done in a flat coat finish, I suggest that you use some of the same paint on a sample piece of wood. When dried, test it by applying some varathane over it to see if your design paint will blead or smear when applying the varathane.
Applying varathane to a flat or dull surface paint will not require sanding the first time, only sand between coats of varathane.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: