Waterproofing

Old 10-22-01, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I am preparing to build my own large, indoor waterfall. I will be building an inner frame of wood and chicken wire and coating it with a plaster. My question is, what type of waterproofing could I use to coat the plaster or could you recomend something else I could use other than plaster. Thanks!

Old 10-23-01, 03:37 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
draven, Take what I tell you here as food for thought because I have never treated anything but concrete to resist water and it pretty much does that without treatment. IF the plaster you are considering is waterproof(the plaster used in old homes is not as such) a two part epoxy like a swimming pool paint should keep the water from the plaster. The only sure way I know at this time to keep a leak from coming up, and it will do it while you sleep no doubt, and ruining what is supporting the wire and the flooring is a vinyl liner. I do realize you lose the ability to shape the fall so it looks natural but you could use rocks and concrete over the liner with stain in it to get a nice look.....Mike

Old 10-23-01, 05:39 AM
Visiting Guest
resin

Thanks very much for your help.

I also thought about using a fiber glass resin with heavy brown paper or some linen. Do you think this might give me a waterproof surface. I do intend on placing a rubber liner in the bottom pool area. The only problem then is shaping the face of the falls features to replicate stone or rock. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-23-01, 02:18 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I do think the fiberglass resin would do the trick and be shapable. You may want to try an experiment with Durhams Rock Hard Putty for shaping because its rated for exterior use and is very easy to use....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: