painting

Old 10-29-01, 09:04 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Next summer I plan to do some exterior painting. I was told by a former contractor that if you mix some linseed oil in with your latex paint that it will adhere better and that the oil will cause small pores to form allowing the wood to let any moisture escape from the wood thus keeping the paint from being pulled off the wood by the sun's heat. Do you have any thoughts on this? It sounds practical to me, I'm thinking about trying it on one wall anyway. Thanx, Toni.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-01, 02:34 AM
B
Just buy quality paint to start with...

I wouldn't mess with the chemistry of paint. Just go to a paint store and buy quality paint to start with. Don't buy paint form a big box or discount store.

This sounds like something someone tried years ago when latex paints were first on the market. Paints today are far superior to paints of just a few years ago.

Old 11-05-01, 10:39 AM
T
Painting

As far as a quality paint is concerned what would you ( or anyone else for that matter) recommend. I'm assuming that a paint like Behr's from Home Depot would not qualify......Toni

Old 11-06-01, 12:56 AM
B
Sherwin-Williams, Pratt&Lambert,...

Sherwin-Williams and Pratt&Lambert are excellent paints. Devoe is another very good paint, but I think it may be regional.