What's the best quality paint brands.

Old 11-09-01, 02:13 AM
leedesert
Visiting Guest
I'm painting my newly built home in a few months and would like to know what the better brands or types of paints are? I'm using flat in most rooms with satin or eggshell in the bath, kitchen, stairwells.
My only special area is our Master Bedroom. I wanted to use the Ralph Lauren Suede paint. I like the look but read a few bad things about their paint. Most to the tune of not worth the money.

Anyone have info on the better brand types and any experience with the Ralph Lauren type paints?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-01, 12:35 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Just an Opinion!

In my area the top paints available are Devoe, Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams. Using any paint from the top of these lines will give good results.
Have used the R/L paints many times. If done properly do look nice. I can't tell you whether they would be worth the money to you. If you are near a store that sells Valspar Paints they have a decorative line that is about $5 gallon cheaper than the R/L and seems to work very well. I prefer the Valspar to R/L on the dark suedes because the contrast is to great on the R/L meaning you have to be 25 or more feet from the walls before it looks like suede.....Mike

Old 11-20-01, 03:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Reply to 'Ralph Lauren' paint...

We moved in this house almost 2 years ago and there are several rooms in this house where the previous owner used nothing but Ralph Lauren paint and we are currently paying quite dearly. Ralph Lauren paint once painted is extremely difficult to remove. In one room, they painted navy blue ralph lauren paint over wallpaper and it has been nothing but a headache removing this stuff. We painted our daughter's bedroom that had ralph lauren paint and we purchased Zinnser primer by 5 gallons and this specific primer states you can use one coat over incredibly dark colours... not quite. Ralph Lauren paints are very dark and not easy to hide. If I may suggest, why don't you just do faux painting and add suede faux finishing yourself? I've been using Behr paint. I've been to Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore but just personally found that we have more options with Behr and we have fortunately not had any problems with this company. Home Depot carries this brand. I'm currently doing colorwashing and it's a lot of fun to do faux finishing yourself. Good luck in your new home! Snowrose