primer over oil base and latex paint

Old 11-17-01, 02:19 AM
adrienne
Visiting Guest
primer over oil base and latex paint

I want to paint bathroom and have discovered half was done with oil base paint and the rest in latex. What kind of primer do I use, I will be painting the entire room with latex. Do I need to but two different kinds of primer for such a small room i.e one oil base and one water based.

thanks

Old 11-18-01, 01:15 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
adrienne, No need for two primers. Use an oil primer where there is oil or latex paint but if you know where the latex is no need to prime it with the oil.....Mike

Old 11-18-01, 06:46 AM
adrienne
Visiting Guest
Just so I am clear. I can use an oil base primer on the oil base paint and on Latex if I want or just leave latex alone. Then I can paint the entire room with latex after that. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-18-01, 07:24 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Primer

Following paint manufacturer's recommendations for surface preparation and compatible primer is always best. When painting latex paint over oil based paint where a primer is needed, oil based primers are recommended.

In general, primers are recommended for surfaces that have never been painted or when repainting if surface is uneven, porous, chipped, worn, etc. Today's high quality acrylic latex paints provide excellent adhesion on surfaces painted with oil-based or alkyd paints.

Tips: If painting kitchen or bath, use a high-quality paint that can be washed.

Go to www.doityourself.com/paint for lots of helpful information.

Old 11-20-01, 12:34 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
You are Clear on This!!! Good Luck...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: