painting appliances

Old 11-29-01, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
painting appliances

I would like to change the color of my dishwasher which is now white. It has a good finish now but doesn't match the other appliances. I have been told that it can be painted but I don't know what kind of paint or how difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions?
ruhsty

Old 12-02-01, 03:21 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
ruhsty, Wipe everything down with mineral spirits(paint thinner) and let dry. Sand with 220 grit sandpaper just enough to get pecks out and dull the finish a little. Dust around the handles and gaskets so tape will bond and tape off anything you don't want paint on using masking tape. Wipe again with paint thinner. Careful with the thinner because it will lift the tape. At this point you are ready to paint. Without a doubt, Sherwin-Willaims SuperAcrylic Spray Paint is the best I have used and I have used most of them. Don't let the part time help at S/W sell you appliance epoxy because it is just no good for appliances. Odd but true. Spray the first coat as lightly as you can and don't worry about lines or areas that don't cover. The idea with the first couple of coats is to fog in with NO runs. Spray one up and down and the next side to side. With the acrylic paint you MUST recoat each coat with in two hours or the paint will wrinkle the coat under it and you really have a mess. From start to finish you should spray all coats in about 2 hours. They dry in minutes and recoat as soon as possible. I most often spray 5-6 times......Mike

Old 12-10-01, 02:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply Mike, I haven't attempted to paint my dishwasher yet but I believe I can handle the job now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: