Brush painting doors

Old 12-04-01, 07:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Brush painting doors

Is there a secret or theory to painting a door using a brush? I always have trouble getting an evenly brushed finish over the entire door. There's marks where the brush starts, and you can tell where the strokes overlap each other. Someone please give me the answer! Thanks.

Old 12-05-01, 01:43 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
start with quality tools and pain...

First start with quality tools and paints. A $2 brush and $15/gallon paint won't cut it. Second, do the necessary prep work. Is this an interior or exterior door? Wood or steel? If wood - pine, oak, luaun? What was on it previously - paint or stain?

Old 12-05-01, 04:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I'm using a Purdy 4" brush on a new, primed exterior door with Dulux semi gloss exterior paint. Seems no matter whatever door I paint, I always have trouble. I start from the top of the door down to the middle. But, when I do the bottom half, where the stroke overlaps the top half (that I guess has dryed somewhat) it drags the paint and leaves a noticeable mark. I've tried rolling and going over with a brush right away but get the same results. Maybe I just need some talent!

Old 12-06-01, 05:18 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If I have a lot of flush doors to do I use a 12" mohair roller.
You must "ease" the paint a little with the appopriate thinners first..then roll on putting a generous amount of paint on which has been spread evenly...Then lay off with a brush that has been dipped in paint and the surplus brushed off.
If you work quickly enough you should have doors that look like mirrors!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: