Having problems with paint staying on the wall

Old 12-15-01, 09:36 AM
cynjas
Visiting Guest
Question Help Painting problem

We bought our home about 5 years ago. It is about 100 years old. Not sure of how many layers of paint are on these plaster walls. I have painted several times since. My problem is my paint just don't seem to stay. If it is just bumped it scraps off. My kids have used masking tape to hang posters and when they take them down the paint comes with. I was wondering if there is some sort of paint that I can use that won't do this or what do I need to do.

Last edited by cynjas; 12-16-01 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-18-01, 03:15 PM
kody82
Visiting Guest
alot of plaster walls develop a chalkiness to them, paint will not stick to this, if this is the case, wash the walls down with some one part bleach to 4 parts water and some tsp to get rid of this chalkiness, then you have a good base to apply a good latex primer that will adher to the wall, then your final coat, good luck

Old 12-19-01, 12:25 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what paint is on the wall now?

It's normal for tape to pull paint off the wall - doesn't happen all the time, not even most of the time, but it does happen.

As for bumping the walls knocking paint off - several questions:

How many layers of paint are coming off? Is it just the top coat or down to the plaster or something in the middle?

Is this happening just on the corners or even in the middle of the wall?

What paint is on there now? Latex or oil? What sheen - flat, satin, semi-gloss?

What room(s)? Kitchen walls (and nearby rooms) accumulate grease from cooking odors. This prevents paint from bonding. Burning candles and incense can also leave just enough soot on the walls, even though you can't see it, to prevent paint from bonding.

Interior or exterior walls?

Old 12-19-01, 02:50 PM
cynjas
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding. I was ready to give up thought no one knew what I needed to know.
Right now my whole house is painted with latex, semi-gloss paint. Almost all my rooms are doing it in one place or another(interior and exterior walls) except the kitchen which is kinda weird because what you said about the kitchen made sense but it isn't doing it there. The paint is not coming off clear to the plaster any where but more then just one coat is coming off. If you have any more help on this issue I would be grateful.

Old 12-20-01, 12:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
the problem is the semi-gloss paint

The problem is the semi-gloss paint that was already on the walls. The same thing that makes semi-gloss easy to clean makes it hard for paint to bond properly. In the future you need to lightly sand the walls - use a pole sander. Then make sure the walls are clean - no sanding dust left.

Old 12-27-01, 10:54 PM
gregory001
Visiting Guest
Hi,You are experiencing a common problem throughout the world,You most likely have an oil based paint and have top coated it with an acrylic paint.It seems to stick at first,but when bumped or Sticky tape comes off easily.I,m afraid the damage is done already and the only way to fix it is to sand back the paint,you put on and use an oil based undercoat.Then your top coats.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: