Painting veneer furniture from dark 2 light

Old 12-25-01, 05:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Painting veneer furniture from dark 2 light

I want to change the color of my bedroom furniture, from black to a lighter color (cherry, birch, beech wood-like surface). The furniture is made out of veneer and then (I guess) coated with a black finish (I'm assuming it's some sort of laminate). It's from Ikea, so the quality isn't that great but I love it.

I'm assuming I should lightly sand it, apply primer and then paint. I'm afraid if I sand it, it will completely remove the finish leaving me with a very dusty and untreatable veneer surface.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-27-01, 01:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will first have to determine what type of finish you are dealing with. Is it wood veneer with lacquer or is it plastic laminate over a substrate material like particle wood? Then, you can determine the proper approach for surface preparation and painting technique. To achieve a wood grain effect would require a faux finishing technique involving creating the look of wood grain.

For basic furniture refinishing information go to www.refinishfurniture.com to learn some basics. There is a wealth of information available on faux finishing (look for wood graining technique). A good place to start to learn about faux finishing is www.fauxfinish.com where there is helpful info. Another good source of info is your local specialty paint store.

Old 12-28-01, 05:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Twelvepole for the information. On my way to check out those links you posted!

I believe it's particle wood with some sort of porous lamination in black (definitely not plastic). If that's the case, can't I just prime it without sanding?

Old 12-28-01, 06:24 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Surface prep

Lightly sand, use tack cloth, use appropriate primer for the type of paint you plan on using. The sites to which I referred you should be very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: