faux...or lack of posts on faux

Old 12-26-01, 07:35 PM
Visiting Guest
faux...or lack of posts on faux

maybe its just that i am new to this forum but i dont see any subjects about the various types of faux painting. this seems to be the rage as far as the promotions i see in the stores, i kind of like it, and wish to explore it a bit further.

i believe i understand the methods of creating the various patterns, although i am sure it requires a bit of practice. what i am a questioning is the combination or choice of colors that are used

Old 12-27-01, 01:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Choosing colors for faux painting

Choosing colors as well as painting techniques for your home depends upon the mood you wish to create in your rooms. There are no rules etched in stone. If there were, they were made to be broken.

Faux painting is a specialty painting technique that has been used since the ancient Egyptians, and the art work of the ancient Greeks provide evidence of such techniques as early as 2200 BC.

Typically faux painting requires a considerable skill and a sense of color. Faux painting was typically used to replicate natural materials when the budget would not allow for them such as the use of marble and wood. Faux painting was used where a natural material would typically be used in order to deceive the eyes of the beholder. Thus, wood graining techniques on doors, trim, and mouldings or the marbling of columns became popular in the cathedrals and homes of the nobility during the Renaissance. Color washing was reserved for large areas.

Faux finishing can be frustrating, especially when one fails to practice. It is best to begin in an area in the home, such a guest room, where it is safe to apply the skills you have learned through practicing.

The renewed interest in faux finishing this past decade is similar to its revival during the Renaissance. There are many books dedicated to the subject. Decorating magazines feature articles with descriptions and instructions for techniques. An online search for faux painting techniques reveals a wealth of information and useful websites such as:

www.murals.com
www.fauxfinish.com
www.painting.about.com

A possible reason for not seeing more posts about faux painting on internet forums is because faux painting requires time for practice and application. Time is something so many of us do not have. Many, who desire faux finishing and have the budget hire someone who can create the desired faux finishes for them. The forum posts I see about specialty DIY painting techniques tend to be limited to ragging, rolling, sponging and color washing. These techniques can be quickly learned with limited practice to create some beautiful decorative effects in homes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: