Cleaning Smoke Stained Walls....

Old 12-28-01, 04:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Cleaning Smoke Stained Walls....

I just recently bought an older home with plaster walls and ceilings. The plaster is in great shape, however the prior owners were heavy heavy smokers and there are visible stains on the walls. I was told that if I try to paint over these stains they will seep through the paint in time and show. Is there something I can use to clean off the stains before I start to paint?

Old 12-28-01, 12:39 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning cigarette smoke from walls

Forum posters tend to recommend TSP (trisodium phosphate) for washing walls before painting. Ms. Moppins from the Cleaning Forum has posted that there is nonTSP that is more user friendly than the TSP which may irritate the skin. Washing walls with a good all purpose cleaner just might do the trick. Always read and follow product directions. Protect floor covering while washing walls.

Old 12-30-01, 03:13 AM
fivenineteen
Visiting Guest
painting smoky surfaces

A lot of contractors us a product called B-I-N (made by Wm. Zinseer Company) for covering smoke of any kind (even fire jobs) Make sure that you get the one with the Red Label (as opposed to Blue) the red lable is an alcohol base product.
Dries quickly..............has some alcohol odor to it...........but no smoke stains should come through this primer. After dry, you can paint over it with water base or oil base paints.

Old 12-31-01, 03:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Having a mother who smokes and walking into her house, I would first clean the walls. There is a good possibility that part of the stain that you have is tar. Use the cleaner mentioned and then paint the wall with the primer.

Old 12-31-01, 01:33 PM
polane
Visiting Guest
shellac works the best! use the BIN like the other person said

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: