cigerette smoke

Old 09-02-01, 08:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Hello...this is my first time posting to this forum...it looks like a great one.

My wife and I have recently purchased a house and before we move in we are going to redo the bathroom. We are both pretty handy and can do a good portion of the work ourselves, but due to time we are farming the most crucial work out.

My question is this: Do we actually need to get a permit for a bathroom remodel? There are parts of the remodel we are having permitted; plumbing, and wiring. We are not moving the fixtures, only replacing them(bath, toilet, and lav.), but I will have to rebuild an endwall for the tub. The current wall is only 24" high (don't ask me why) and I want to take it to the ceiling. I would also like to move the water supply from the exterior wall (as it is now) to the new ceiling height wall so that can install a trap and shut-off access on the other side of the wall and insulate the exterior wall (the house is a 1912 Bungalow). Do I need to get a framing permit or any sort of permitting inspection for the drywall/concrete backer? What about inspections? Total bill at the moment is about $4000 for everything...does that make a difference? Most of that is in labor cost and new fixtures.

I know local codes very, so any one with specific knowledge about Portland, Oregon would be very helpful, but so would any general knowledge/experience.

thanks,
Brian

Old 01-02-02, 09:07 AM
Visiting Guest
cigerette smoke

We just bought a home that has been smoked in for five years. My husband and I are planning on repainting and recarpeting the interior of the home. We are hoping that the cigerette smoke will be removed by repainting the home.

Are there any hardfast rules to painting to remove the smell of smoke?

Thanks for you help!

Old 01-02-02, 01:48 PM
polane
Visiting Guest
First wash the walls down with TSP or something similar and than prime the walls. I would use B-I-N which is a pigmented shellac.

Old 01-03-02, 03:50 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Painting cigarette stained walls

Most forum posters recommend TSP (trisodium phosphate) for washing down severely stained and soiled walls before painting. Otherwise, an all purpose cleaner will do. If you use TSP read and follow directions carefully.

B-I-N is a shellac based sealer that is one of the best on the market for sealing out stains and preventing bleed through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: