Brian...Building code question

Old 01-05-02, 10:35 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Brian...Building code question

Hello...this is my first time posting to this forum...it looks like a great one.

My wife and I have recently purchased a house and before we move in we are going to redo the bathroom. We are both pretty handy and can do a good portion of the work ourselves, but due to time we are farming the most crucial work out.

My question is this: Do we actually need to get a permit for a bathroom remodel? There are parts of the remodel we are having permitted; plumbing, and wiring. We are not moving the fixtures, only replacing them(bath, toilet, and lav.), but I will have to rebuild an endwall for the tub. The current wall is only 24" high (don't ask me why) and I want to take it to the ceiling. I would also like to move the water supply from the exterior wall (as it is now) to the new ceiling height wall so that can install a trap and shut-off access on the other side of the wall and insulate the exterior wall (the house is a 1912 Bungalow). Do I need to get a framing permit or any sort of permitting inspection for the drywall/concrete backer? What about inspections? Total bill at the moment is about $4000 for everything...does that make a difference? Most of that is in labor cost and new fixtures.

I know local codes very, so any one with specific knowledge about Portland, Oregon would be very helpful, but so would any general knowledge/experience.

thanks,
Brian

Old 01-05-02, 10:43 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I moved your thread...

...because some one tagged a question onto your question and then they got replies.

I would suggest you look toward a permit. In my area if improvements go beyond $100 US a permit must be posted in front of the job that costs $5.00. They crack down around here with $500 fines if you get caught without one. Oddly enough painting, wallpaper and carpet etc. are not considered to improve the real property value but two sinks and a new foyer light would....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: