Removing Old paint

Old 01-11-02, 02:23 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Removing Old paint

I'm sure this question has been addressed in the past but since I'm new to this forum I'll ask it anyway.

I have a wooden garage door - probably about 40-50yrs old. It was last painted about 9 yrs ago when we moved into the house. At that time it was in pretty bad shape paintwise - badly peeled & cracked,etc. A professional painter painted the whole house & garage. I believe at that time he scraped, & sanded it prior to repainting it. It looked "good" for several years however it was never Perfect in the sense that you always saw "unevenness" in the panels from the different layers of old cracked paint. The main house has held up pretty well (It was never in the shape of the garage door) but the garage door has peeled & cracked & needs to be redone. I attempted to try to scrape it and soon realized that I would never get all the layers of paint off & get it to look good & smooth prior to repainting. This being the case I know there are other options such as heat guns, chemical removers, etc. What is the best & easiest way to get all the old paint off so as to have a reasonably smooth flat layer(prior to sanding)? Thanks.

Old 01-11-02, 03:40 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burn all the paint off the doors with a gas blow torch and a shave hook/scraper (electric heat guns are too slow at reaching a high enough temperature and are... slow going).... Rub down the woodwork and then apply one coat of exterior grade primer...Apply an Undercoat and rub down lightly... once dry apply a second undercoat followed by a coat of gloss..

Old 01-11-02, 03:51 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks

Isn't there a risk of burning the door with a gasblow torch?

Old 01-12-02, 10:13 AM
T
I was burning off a wooden faccia and soffit once and almost burn down the house!!
If you are still instilled with confidence...Read on..

After about two or three seconds ,a blow torch will make the paint bubble up...At this point,remove the flame and scrape the soft paint with a scraper...There is no danger of burning the door. You may scorch it a little,but thats normal..
The thicker the layers of paint on your door,the easier it is to strip.
Trust me..This is the most effective/fastest way to get results and totally safe.

.[SIZE=1]disclaimer.
If for any reason this person/persons happens to incinarate his/her garage/house/car and/or incurs financial loss or smoke inhailation or worse..I, toptosher accept absolutley no responsibilty or liability.[/SIZE]

Old 01-13-02, 10:20 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
removing old paint

I would suggest you use the PEEL AWAY 7 product for your project. It will do the removal in one application and is a SAFE remover. Visit the web site at www.peelaway.com. Don't use heat unless you have a comfort level!

Old 01-14-02, 02:47 PM
T
Peelaway is supposed to be pretty good....But expensive,I hear!!
Having said that...It may work out to be cheaper than if the worst happened with a blowtorch!!

Old 01-14-02, 04:15 PM
hy
Visiting Guest
removal of paint

The question of cost is almost always in play. Expensive compared toi what? If you can remove all of the paint safely in one application then the cost of the product does not mean very much. This is especially true iof it is a contractor doing a job. But even for the DIY'er if you can do the removal in one application letting the product do most of the work I would think the cost of product does not become a major factor. that is what PEEL AWAY products can do!

Old 01-14-02, 08:20 PM
Visiting Guest
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, BUT INSIDE THE HOUSE. IT WAS BUILT IN 1948 AND YOU CAN TELL THAT THE FIRST OWNERS KNEW HOW TO DO THINGS RIGHT, BUT THE PEOPLE I BOUGHT IT FROM HAD NO CLUE. EVERY WINDOW IN THE HOUSE HAS BEEN COVERED, AT ONE TIME, WITH THAT CLEAR PLASTIC WHICH WAS HELD ON BY DOUBLE SIDED TAPE. AND WHEN THEY REPAINTED THEY DID SO RIGHT OVER THE TAPE-SEVERAL TIMES. I HAVE FOUND OVER FOUR LAYERS OF TAPE/PAINT AND SOME OF THE PAINT IS OIL BASED AND THE LATER LAYERS ARE LAYTEX,IT IS PEELING ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I HAVE A SMALL BUTANE TORCH CAN I USE IT INSIDE? OR SHOULD I BUY A HEAT GUN? OR THAT CHEMICAL STUFF?
THANKS!

Old 01-15-02, 02:49 PM
T
Expensive compared toi what?
Compared to a blow torch for a start!!
Painters have been using that method for decades and there is still nothing that can beat em for price or speed!!
Cost does matter a lot ...My quotation might have to compete with 2 or three other contractors..
Products like peelaway are useful for certain jobs if it saves me time and produces a better/easier result...However..That is not always the case!!

I HAVE A SMALL BUTANE TORCH CAN I USE IT INSIDE? OR SHOULD I BUY A HEAT GUN? OR THAT CHEMICAL STUFF?
You can..But it really depends on the circumstances..The room should really be empty without carpets etc ..Never use them on windows or sashes as they will crack the glass in a second!!
Just use your common sense. Heat guns do the same thing..only slower.

Old 01-20-02, 10:40 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
Removal of paint/adhesive

PEEL AWAY 7 will remove the paint and the adhesive and do iut safely. How can youy recommend a torch for a DIY'er is beyond me. Even a contractor who is experienced if they are removing old lead based paint they are creating probl;ems in that home! The most important thing as far as i am concerned are environmental considerations and worker safety. Once you get past those two three, four and five are easy by comparison.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: