Rounded corners...where do I start/stop the paint?

Old 01-11-02, 09:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Rounded corners...where do I start/stop the paint?

The downstairs of my home is all done in rounded corners. I want to paint but there's no sensible place to start and stop the paint. Any suggestions?

Old 01-11-02, 01:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Stopping point

I take it that you are talking about coved ceilings ?? A couple of easy solutions..........1) see your local lumber company for a small molding usually 3/4" wide and about 3/16" thick (called screen molding) This can be primed, painted and attached to the walls at a desired level (say six or eight inches below the ceiling) this will give you a breaking point between the ceiling and wall paints. 2) your other option is to look into a wallpaper type border usually available anywhere from 3 inches to 9 inches wide.
Old 01-14-02, 03:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Actually, the vertical wall corners are all rounded. Any suggestions?

Old 01-16-02, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Where to end paint

I think you are referring to the bullnose edges they use in new homes now where all the wall corners are rounded instead of coming together at a point.

When I painted my rooms I decided to paint as far around the edge as would be visible from that room. It worked great because when I am in one room or the hallway, I cannot see the paint edge of the other rooms unless I walk in that room.

It's a little tricky, but not too difficult. It just requires you to stand back and look at the entrance and then tape the edge. The tape will probably be slightly past midway into the curve.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-17-02, 05:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
We the same problem on new houses with rounded bullnosed corners and the owners want to paint the rooms different colors, and you are right, there is no "sensible" place to start/stop. We do as bigmist8k suggested except because of the texture we cannot use tape because it will bleed under, we will take the color of the main room around theses bullnoses just where it starts getting flat again, so as bigmist8k stated you can't see the line unless you walk into that room or hallway. What I do is paint the main room first and carry the paint around the corner just past where the other color would start, after it is dry I cut in the second color, not going into the rounded part of the bullnose. If you have textured walls and are afraid of paint bleeding under tape you could always pop a blue chalkline or take a straight edge and make a light sharp pencil line to paint to.
Old 01-17-02, 11:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I just wanted to let you know that I was at a paint store (Sherman Williams) a few weeks ago and mentioned the problem about the paint bleeding under the textured walls (especially for bullnose walls). He gave me a tape that he said was new and he had just got it in. He only had 1/2 a roll left, but gave it to me for free to try. He had tried it out at home and loved it.

On the outside it looks just the same as the other "blue" Scotch paint tapes, but it feels different - much thinner. I had no problem with bleeding at all. You just need to make sure that you press it in place with your hands once you apply it to the wall.

The numbers on in the inside cardboard are #2080. I have not been able to find any more of it. I've checked with Home Depot, Sears, etc.

When I used the last bit of it, I was almost finished taping off the top part of a wall for a stencil design that was to go above the tape. I could tell where the #2080 ended and the regular blue tape began just by the edges. The edges for that tape were very clean and sharp. Try Sherman-Williams, if there is one near you.
Old 01-22-02, 12:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thank you all for your suggestions! I'll take another stab at painting these areas.
Old 06-01-13, 05:26 PM
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trial by error! This worked beautifully!

I had to learn the hard way... But I was the same and wanted different colors for different rooms. Here are TWO solutions that worked beautifully and no one notices!!
1) my breakfast room attaches to my kitchen like most. I wanted this to me two shades off from the kitchen color. I painted up to the edge where it begins to curve. Then I did a gradual fade going through the curve. Then I painted the kitchen and did another gradual fade through the part that I already faded. So the two colors kinda blended on the curve! Looks AWSOME!
2) Regular dining room, 2 entries, one is to kitchen (one color) and to living area(another color). SOLUTION: TRIM/border, or u can use any of the trims u like that goes with your decor. I used the tape to make a line in middle of doorway(they are usually about 3"), each side of line is different color. BUT I put the trim(stain or paint to desired color) and put on line, right in the middle of passway.
IT LOOKS VERY PROFFESSIONAL and beautiful!! Get creative with the boarder, then your creative juices will flow with other things to use this trim for!!
Old 06-02-13, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 45,221
Received 753 Upvotes on 658 Posts
Welcome to the forums nicktay!

You've replied to an 11+ yr old thread made by folks who are no longer members of the forum BUT I'd be interested in seeing pics of your transition between colors. I generally advice against color changes on a bullnose corner, I can paint a straight line with a brush but never liked the looks of splitting colors on a rounded corner.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: