Fiberglass front door varnish

Old 01-14-02, 04:50 PM
Torch
Visiting Guest
Post Fiberglass front door varnish

I have a fiberglass front door that was stained and varnished. After the new finish lasted only a month, I had the painter return and found out he used interior varnish on an exterior application. I have lightly sanded the door with steel wool, but I can't seem to get the stain to take. What should I do? The door has a simulated wood grain that I don't want to sand.

If anyone has tips on how to properly prepare, stain and varnish a fiberglass door that would be great. I really don't want to keep varnishing this door 3 times a year and I don't want to paint it either...

If it makes a differance, the door is west facing and gets plenty of Ohio sun.

Torch

Old 01-19-02, 05:33 AM
Visiting Guest
I would definately take the interior finish off, try lacquer thinner, be sure to buy those heavy duty chemical gloves and NO smoking, ha ha. Pour some thinner in a bucket and use a rag to scrub the existing finnish off, rinsing the rag in the thinner frequently, be sure to test a hidden area first to make sure the thinner will not damage the doors texture (if it has woodgrain texture).

As for refinnishing, the paint store have kits made to stain and finnish metal and fiberglass doors to simulate wood. Be sure the finnish you use has good UV protection, the sun is most damaging.

Old 01-19-02, 07:39 AM
Visiting Guest
This just in! I just happend to run across this site looking for something un-related. You will still need to clean off the existing finish but the website below will be of great assistance for re-finishing the door.

http://www.therma-tru.com/homeowner/install.shtml

Old 01-20-02, 10:34 AM
hy
Visiting Guest
Removing stain from fiberglass door

This job can easily and safely be done in one application with either the PEEL AWAY 6 or 7 product. Visit the web site at www.peelaway.com

Old 01-20-02, 11:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Good one hy, so this product will take off the existing finish, re-apply exterior stain in the proper fashion for a fiberglass door and apply two coats of exterior topcoat all in one application?

Please be a little more specific, I will delete posts that I deem as Spam.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: