painting on wallpaper

Old 01-16-02, 01:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Question painting on wallpaper

Is it possible to texture and paint on wallpaper? If so what is the best way to do it? What kind of texture and paint works best?

Old 01-16-02, 08:27 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Using textured paint over wallpaper

I once read a precaution against this because the textured paints were thicker and took longer to dry, giving the paint liquids time to soak the wallpaper loose.

Old 01-17-02, 06:47 AM
Visiting Guest
twelvepole is right and without seeing it I cannot tell if it will work but there is a way, IF the wallpaper was hung correctly and is still in good condition, no air pockets and well adhered. First you must seal the wallpaper, using an oil based primer such as Kilz Original, then spot any holes etc with spackeling allowing to dry and sand the spots. Then you can texture with a light to medium light texture, then prime and 2 coats of paint.

This is by no means a definate way of texturing over wallpaper, site-unseen I would not recomend it, but if you must, that will in most cases work, depending on how well the paper was applied and its current condition.

Old 01-17-02, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Re: painting on wallpaper

Originally posted by itsdebh
Is it possible to texture and paint on wallpaper? If so what is the best way to do it? What kind of texture and paint works best?
I just recently did my bathroom over. I had applied a heavy vinyl coated wallpaper that had some texture in it. However, the colour choice was, it didn't go with the rest of the reno. I decided to paint over it. It turned out beautifully, it took 4 coats of paint and the finish gives the walls a leather look------very chic and expensive looking.
Hope this helps. The wallpaper was thick, vinyl coated and applied with vinyl glue, so far the paint has not injured the wallpaper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: