How to pick right shade of yellow?

Old 01-17-02, 04:43 AM
snojean01
Visiting Guest
How to pick right shade of yellow?

I want to paint a room that is 11' by 23', has large bay window facing east. I would like to paint it a soft yellow, but am afraid I might pick a too bright shade. How can I pick the right shade from so many?

Old 01-17-02, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
What is not to bright for some may be to bright for you, it really is a matter of preference, if it helps at all I painted my living room an antique white, which has a very slight shade of yellow, like yellowed paint, I have an antique house (30's) so I like it, you may want to check into different paint stores antique whites.

Old 01-17-02, 05:31 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome back, Chip!!

Glad to have you back, Chip!

Old 01-17-02, 02:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Re: How to pick right shade of yellow?

Originally posted by snojean01
I want to paint a room that is 11' by 23', has large bay window facing east. I would like to paint it a soft yellow, but am afraid I might pick a too bright shade. How can I pick the right shade from so many?
Believe it or not yellow can be very tricky. It depends on what other colors you have in the room, including your other wall colours, accessories, and don't forget your style should be considered as well. Linda Reeves of Canadian House and Home on HGTV did a show on this. I would suggest that you go visit their website. I am unsure of their website name otherwise I would be more than happy to send it to you. If I remember it I'll send it to you
good luck
Rita Reno

Old 01-20-02, 05:04 PM
drossmartin
Visiting Guest
Yeah, Chip is absolutely right. I, myself have been looking for the 'perfect shade of yellow' for my house in Austin, Tx. Found the swatches from Ralph Lauren's "Whites" were great. AND, you don't have to buy his high-priced, fancy-schmancy paints. Naw, just take the swatch and have it computer=scanned and used with Glidden or Behr paint (or ANY brand you like!)

Old 01-22-02, 01:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Yellow is definitely a tricky color, and paint chips (up against white walls) aren't much help. I agonized over the color of our living/dining area (many trips for test quarts) for a least a month. I found a really nice mellow tone in an Ethan Allen catalogue. I called them and they had the paint # from Benjamin Moore.

The name is Golden Straw (2152-50). Everyone who sees the color really loves it. They comment on how subtle and calming it is to them. I took the paint chip to Home Depot and had them mix it into a Behr base. Saved some money that way.

My advice is to take your time and find the right color for you. Everyone says "It's only paint - you can paint over it if you don't like it" I don't subscribe to that. I'd rather have color I love the first time, and not have to think about repainting!

Kim

Old 01-23-02, 07:16 AM
Wrenched
Visiting Guest
What I did in a similar situation was take my samples to a friend's house. She had painted her room a color close to what I was thinking about, but far too dark. So I picked the sample that was a few shades lighter than hers. She felt complimented (I didn't tell her about the too-dark part) and I wound up with just the shade I wanted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: