painting the bathroom: mildew

Old 01-17-02, 05:56 AM
Visiting Guest
painting the bathroom: mildew

Hi folks:
I have a small bathroom used by all and is a big breeding ground for mold and mildew.

I need to repaint. What kind of paint should I use on the ceiling and the walls for easy cleaning and for mold prevention?

Thanks for you help.

Old 01-17-02, 06:26 AM
Visiting Guest
The best prevention for mold is air circulation, leaving the exhaust fan on or the door open after showers or baths until dry, opening a window helps greatly. The cieling in my bathroom is very low and every shower produces dropplets on the cieling, I used a latex Kitchen and Bathroom paint from Ben. Moore (4 years ago) and have had no problems other than little dropplet stains which wipe right off. Sherwin Williams also makes excellent paints, for your bathroom I would suggest there interior Superpaint (latex). If you want a flat finish they make a product called Everclean, which is a flat paint that is scrubable and cleans easier than conventional flat paints.

Old 01-17-02, 09:32 AM
The Soulgirl
Visiting Guest
Whilst you may think it is obviously a condensation problem, its also worth checking that you dont have an external damp problem.

Tape a small piece of aluminium foil to the wall... leave for 24 hours.

If the inside of the foil is wet you have a damp problem. If the outside is wet you have a condensation problem.

If both sides are wet - you HAVE a PROBLEM.

Last edited by The Soulgirl; 01-17-02 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-17-02, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Very good point, that method of moisture testing is essential for various painting projects, prior to painting bare or new concrete, brick or block walls, prior to painting or fiberglassing exterior boat hulls, etc.

You have to be carefull and make sure the room is totally dry, if the room is damp when you do the test it could be misleading if you initially trap moister under the foil or plastic. Also if the sheetrock is already damp from interior moisture it will produce misleading results.

However, if the moisture was an external problem or if the sheetrock was damp from either an external or internal problem there would be stains, peeling paint and/or decayed sheetrock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: