Popcorn ceilings removed - now what?

Old 01-19-02, 08:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Popcorn ceilings removed - now what?

I removed the popcorn last weekend. My house was built in 79 and thankfully no one has ever painted them. I used a sprayer like the bug guy uses to wet it and used a 5" tapeing knife. It came off very easily. Yes it was a mess but I scraped all I could into a bucket as I went and what fell onto the floor hit disposable drop cloths. Anyway, my question is now that the popcorn is gone do I texture the ceiling?

Are there new styles? Are people leaving them flat and just painting or is everyone adding some sort of texture. If so, what texture?

Thank you for your help!

Terry Mickelson

Old 01-19-02, 10:15 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Great Question Bucko!

I'm sure what is in or out varies from area to area. Deep south USA here. As you have done many here are removing popcorn mainly due to it falling off (unpainted). Most want the best new ceiling for the money and around here that would have to be a dobb(circular) or crowfoot (double oval). Little patching is needed and thinning mud with white paint often covers without painting. Something like the Mud Dobber though mostly for walls would make a great ceiling. My personal choice for ceilings is flat(slick). Its the best choice for the mostly older homes around here. To get slick from where you are would be the hardest from a patching point of view. The only thing beyond slick, crowfoot or dobb happening here is many are using the Ralph Lauren River Rock or Valspar Millstone in white or light colors but these are very light textures...Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: