painting veneered furniture

Old 01-19-02, 10:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool painting veneered furniture

I would like to paint my bedroom furniture that is 10 years old. It is in good shape, but it is veneered with a shiny finish. Can I paint this, and if so, what is the best way to do it?

Old 01-20-02, 06:08 AM
Visiting Guest
The best finish is going to be accomplished by spraying it, but since this may not be an option for you, you may have to use a brush, I suggest buying a quality brush for the job, such as Purdy, call around to different hardware stores and find who carries Purdy brushes, I would recomend 2 1/2 inch sash "All Paints" brush.

First you will need to clean the furniture, I suggest TSP or Dirtex, follow the instructions, then after completely dry putty any nail holes in need, you want the putty smooth with the surface, no buildup, then a light but thorough sanding useing a 220 grit sandpaper, wipe away dust with a tack cloth, prime the surface with an oil based primer/undercoater, Kilz original, Zinssers BIN, Preprite, etc. Your local pro paint store may have there own primer also. After the primer dries you can lightly sand again for smoothness useing the 220 grit, remove dust. Caulk any joints, cracks in need, useing a paintable latex caulk, wipeing smooth with a wet finger and clean up any access or mess with a wet rag, allow to dry. Then you can paint with a paint of your choice, I suggest oil based for durability and it flows out smoother also, watch for runs. If you use a latex be sure and get a quality latex proper for the job, your pro paint store rep can get that for you.

Old 01-20-02, 08:19 AM
BBBrown
Visiting Guest

Hey Chip,
What a beautiful logo?

Sorry for the intrusion into your post Patricia. I was just doing some testing.

Chip I sent you an email. Respond when you get a chance so we can have you upload images to help answer questions.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Brandon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: