Painting kitchen cabinets

Old 01-20-02, 12:19 PM
alconte
Visiting Guest

I have oak front kitchen cabinets. I want to paint them white. A contractor came to my house and said if he was going to paint them, he would not bother sanding. He said he would use something called liquid sandpaper. I cannot find a product that I can get with that name. My question is, is that a type of primer? Am I better off for (durability purposes) sanding and painting that way?

Thank you for your help!
Leigh

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-02, 01:09 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Go to www.refinishfurniture.com for helpful info. They have a special section on kitchen cabinets. Typically, forum members tend to report cleaning the cabinets using a product like TSP, and using a 'deglosser' like liquid sandpaper to remove the shine and any grease you may have missed. Some lightly sand to give "tooth," wiping with tack cloth, priming and painting. Removing doors and drawers will make the job a lot easier and more professional looking.

Old 01-20-02, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
alconte, No it is not a primer, it is formulated to degloss glossy paints and they also clean the surface, it will still need to be primed. They are found at almost any pro paint store and a few hardware stores. As far as being better to do it that way, probably works good, it just doesn't smooth the surface.

Personally I do not use the liquid sanders, in my opinion sanding serves two purposes, it provides a toothed surface for the primer to grasp and it smooths the surface. The liquid sanders are a shortcut, to provide the cleaning and tooth (or degloss) in one step, but what about the smoothness? Well, if the surface is already very smooth then it is ok, but if not then it needs sanding for that. With that said, I will copy and paste a post I wrote earlier that fits this task also....

"The best finish is going to be accomplished by spraying it, but since this may not be an option for you, you may have to use a brush, I suggest buying a quality brush for the job, such as Purdy, call around to different hardware stores and find who carries Purdy brushes, I would recomend 2 1/2 inch sash "All Paints" brush.

First you will need to clean the furniture, I suggest TSP or Dirtex, follow the instructions, then after completely dry putty any nail holes in need, you want the putty smooth with the surface, no buildup, then a light but thorough sanding useing a 220 grit sandpaper or pad, wipe away dust with a tack cloth, prime the surface with an oil based primer/undercoater, Kilz original, Zinssers BIN, Preprite, etc. Your local pro paint store may have there own primer also. After the primer dries you can lightly sand again for smoothness useing the 220 grit, remove dust. Caulk any joints, cracks in need, useing a paintable latex caulk, wipeing smooth with a wet finger and clean up any access or mess with a wet rag, allow to dry. Then you can paint with a paint of your choice, I suggest oil based for durability and it flows out smoother also, watch for runs. If you use a latex be sure and get a quality latex proper for the job, your pro paint store rep can get that for you."

Old 01-20-02, 06:01 PM
alconte
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for all your advice. After all that said, maybe I will call a professional. Seems like a lot of work! Maybe I should "buck up and do it"!

Thank you again, you guys are always great help!
Leigh