ceiling painting problem

Old 01-22-02, 05:35 AM
CynthiaF
Visiting Guest
ceiling painting problem

HELP!!! We painted the ceiling in my living room this weekend. After the first coat on Saturday the ceiling was streaked. We waited until Sunday to give it a second coat. Although not as badly streaked it still is streaked depending on where you stand in the room to look at it. On close inspection, the streaks are not roller marks and we went to great pains to be sure the paint was evenly distributed. The ceiling is plaster. Does anyone have any idea on how to get rid of the streaks or why this happened? We used Sherwin Williams Ceiling paint. Would a different paint solve the problem? If so, whose paint would be the best. We are continuing to do other rooms and I would like to avoid this in other rooms.
Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-22-02, 08:23 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Sounds like bleeding

CynthiaF, If your sure its not roller tracks and the paint did cover completely it would have to be something bleeding through the paint. If this is the case no latex paint in any brand or grade will hold this back. The bleeding could be cigarette smoke buildup, residue from heavy cooking, gas heat or the natural turning brown/yellow of things as they age and unprimed plaster has its own group of things in it that can cause this problem. I would suggest a spot sample where you have problems now of an oil primer like KILZ Original or any good oil based stain killer/primer followed by a coat of your paint and see what happens....Mike

Old 01-22-02, 10:18 AM
CynthiaF
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your suggestions Mike. Can I use KILZ now on top of the new paint or how long should I wait? I called Sherwin Williams to see what they had to say. They're take on it was that we didn't keep a wet edge and therefore "railroad tracks" occured. They suggested using an 18" roller and to work faster! With a 12 X 23 foot room you can only go so fast!

Old 01-22-02, 11:36 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I bet they just happened to have a good line of those 18"rollers. Consider all of your options but I would stay away from the wide roller. 95% of my painting is done with 9 inch rollers and is what I would use on this project. All you can get from someone who has not seen your problem is what it most probably is and that would be roller tracks or lines. I take your word that its not roller marks because you seem to have looked very closely and it does have two coats. I think the guys at Sherwin-Williams are describing what we call lap marks and that really isn't to much of a problem when doing two coats which is why I didn't go there but is prevented by keeping a wet edge and that can mean hopping around the room or having two rollers out. I noticed you used ceiling paint and this stuff is known not to cover very well. At the point you are in this project and with the info you have I would get a different line of paint, something like Pro-Mar 200, Classic 99 or at the least Pro-Mar 400 latex flat wall paint all from Sherwin-Williams Its a bit more money but you will see the difference. I would do this first straight over whats there in one room and see how it goes because I'm unsure at this point if your laps are from weak paint or something bleeding. Sure don't want to KILZ the whole house to find out it wasn't needed. I believe you will have better luck with some new paint.....Mike

Old 01-22-02, 12:20 PM
CynthiaF
Visiting Guest
We used Classic 99. What would be your next suggestion? Even if we don't get this room right, we don't want the same thing happening in the other rooms we're planning to paint. Should we primer them from the get go or use another type of paint? We have gas heat and there are smokers in the house. The one room was just painted a couple of years ago but I'm changing the colors and the painters did a horrible job. There are definitely roller marks on that ceiling!

Old 01-22-02, 04:52 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
You refered to your paint as ceiling paint earlier and Classic 99 later. Is it wall paint or do they have a Classic 99 grade of ceiling paint? Seems I may remember one of there lines was available both ways. If its a ceiling paint I wouldn't use it. Of the two ways to go here the one that will work without fail is KILZ and paint. The KILZ can go over the latex paint as soon as its dry. A thought on ceilings or anything else bleeding....If a ceiling is thought to have been white when last painted or finished and has a yellowish or light brownish look about it is always subject to be a bleeder even without smoke damage. If you are brightening your ceilings up a good bit with the new paint I would say they may be a candidate for KILZing....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: