What brand of interior paint to choose?

Old 01-27-02, 11:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Still need help choosing paint brand!!

Hello-
This is my first post after lurking for a bit on this forum. Thanks to all for their advice and I have a question about choosing a good brand of interior paint. We are going to be painting our kitchen/dining room (one large room) and an adjoining living room. I run a licensed in-home daycare so I need something that will stand up to a good deal of washing and cleaning. I would like satin/eggshell for the walls and semi-gloss for the trim. Does this seem like a good choice for the wall finish?

ALSO-locally (Rochester, NY) we seem to have countless types of interior paint. I have seen lots of praise for Sherwin Williams paint and some others. Since I have lots to choose from, can you experts out there tell me what brands you use and help me choose what brand/line of paint to purchase? TIA!

Karen

Old 01-27-02, 11:50 AM
handy harold
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

The paint you need for walls should be semi gloss because it will clean up better than flat. Consumer Reports gave Paint sold at wallMART HIGH RATEUNGS and I've used it for some time with good results. Use gloss on the trim. Good luck Handy Harold

Old 01-27-02, 12:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your opinion Harold-unfortunately the consesus of many of the posters here seems to be that WalMart paint is of a lesser quality. I did some searches and found that most people were unhappy with it. Perhaps it works better in your warmer climate.

Also--In case I wasn't clear, I am thinking of painting the walls a satin/eggshell finish and the trim in a semi-gloss. I am not planning on using flat at all. Can anyone give me the pros/cons to using semi-gloss on walls? They do need to be scrubbable. TIA!

Karen

Old 01-27-02, 02:00 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Semi gloss is more easily washable than satin/eggshell however I personally think it's too much sheen..... I just finished my condo with flat and semi on the trim and I think your on the right track with the satin/eggshell and semi. I use sherwin Williams as it covers well and it flows on smoothly.......I had used Benjamin Moore until the quality seemed to diminish........You were a bit more kind in your regards for Wallmart paint however I recommend staying away from non specialized retailers as they generally take a low bid product and put it on their shelves and the big name manufacturers generally produce a lower quality product to make it all worth it................

PS According to an HD employee....Berh paint has recieved the highest recemmendation from Consumer reports for 8 years. I have used it many times for commercial work and I would not recommend it for home use........It doesn's cover as well other brands......I think comsumer reports bases their ratings not on quality alone which can cause confusion..........

Old 01-28-02, 07:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Stephen-

I think I am leaning toward the SW paints now, especially after reading the threads that come up in my searches here. I am debating on whether to go with the EverClean line in satin/eggshell for the walls & the SuperPaint in semi-gloss for the trim. Since they will be washed up alot I was thinking that would be the best combo.

Please--experts out there--give me your opinion on this--thanks so much!

Karen

Old 01-28-02, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
You got my vote. Everclean is formulated for just what you want. Be sure to use 2 or 3 full coats. Just one thing however, the superpaint is a latex and if you are going to paint over oil based paint on the trim (?) make sure you prime it with an oil based primer prior to overlaying with latex, or just use an oil based paint. You can check to see if it is existing oil based or latex by purchasing a small can of Goof Off (Sherwin Williams) and useing a rag to rub a hidden area with the Goof off, if it removes the paint it is latex, if it does not then it is oil based.

The existing wall paint is more than likely latex.

Be sure to clean and lightly sand (220 grit) the trim prior to painting or priming. I like to use TSP or Dirtex for the cleaning, it will help the paint to adhere more then you would think.

Old 01-29-02, 04:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Chip!

I appreciate the advice & tested the trim. The trim has latex and the walls are done with latex too. The other question that has come up has to do with the paint on the walls and the primer (or lack of) underneath. When our house was rebuilt after a fire the GC saved lots of money by cutting corners and paint was no exception. We found out that there is only 2 coats of latex paint over the drywall & no primer at all. Is that something to be concerned about at this point (4 years later)? If it makes a difference we will prime everything & paint over that.

Also--should we still do the sanding on the trim since it is latex? I had heard of cleaning the walls & the trim with TSP but had not heard about sanding if we are applying latex over latex on the trim. Again-if it makes a difference we will do it!

Oh--almost forgot--do you think using latex on the trim will be as durable as oil-based?

Thanks & sorry for the barrage of ???!

Karen

Old 01-29-02, 05:12 AM
Visiting Guest
We come here expecting a barrage of questions I would rather answer someone who is responding than answer someone who will never come back and look at the answer.

Priming the walls at this point will do little good, primer is made to adhere to and seal the surface, seal out stains, etc, if the existing paint is in good condition then don't worry about priming, cleaning yes, if the walls are dirty then clean them.

I would lightly sand the trim with a 220 grit (after cleaning), it will not only help to smooth but will help adhesion a great deal.

Latex is getting more and more advanced with better adhesion and durability, but is not going to be as durable as a quality oil based paint, but then white oil based paints tend to yellow in time. it is really up to you, the semigloss latex will give you the washing ability you need, but do you need the added durability of an oil based paint, will the children be running toys up and down the trim? Scratching on it? Rubbing on it? I would use oil based, but I am a pro painter set in his ways. Seeing that the trim has latex already on it, you should have no problems useing a quality latex formulated for trim work.

Old 01-29-02, 05:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Again Chip!

I appreciate the quick response! I will have to think a bit about using the oil versus the latex for the trim then. The children I care for are very good about respecting my home. I wish my own son was more careful-lol! The problems we have are chipped small areas (less than 1/4") on parts of the trim where it got hit here & there. Not a big deal--I notice it but no one else does.

My only concern is about the yellowing that you mentioned. We are going with a basic white for all the trim and interior doors (they are currently painted the same as the wall color-ugh!). Is the yellowing something to really be concerned about? I am thinking if it yellows in areas it wouldn't be a good look, if it just all yellows a little bit overall that would be fine with me, we will just pick a brighter white to start out with.

Thanks again for your help! Now anyone have a clue if SW puts their paint on sale anytime soon? LOL!

Karen

Old 01-30-02, 04:10 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
The oil trim paint will yellow/mellow (not attempting to be cute here) evenly with time for the most part. If you stay with Sherwin-Williams don't use the ProMar line of oils. All paint companies seem to have a poor one in the bunch and IMO that is SW's. I have never seen an oil turn YELLOW as fast as ProMar 200....Mike

Old 02-04-02, 03:35 PM
Visiting Guest
paint quality

Just for a reference, there are only three "major" paint manufacturing facilities in the U.S. Some of you will be disapointed to find out that walmart paint is made by the same people who make the "name brands". My suggestion, try several and pick what works for your application. Good luck.

Old 02-04-02, 03:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may be true however the products are manufactured to different specs.........EX...The Glidden sold through Home Depot is not the same quality as Glidden's Best. .A Home Depot employee said that HD didn't want a product that would compete too heavily with it's own Behr line......This practice is common for many products which can cause confusion and leave consumers unknowingly comparing apples to oranges........

Old 02-04-02, 03:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I agree with you, they do have different specs. Viscosity is a major specification that is used in separating paint by quality. Color saturation is another. A helpfull hint, If you ask nicely, most major paint stores will give you small samples to take home and test on your walls. Don't misunderstand, you will not paint you room for free, but you will be able to apply paint to a small area to get an idea how it will look. (baby food jar size)That is better than holding a 3 inch piece of paper against the wall. Good luck.

Old 02-04-02, 05:50 PM
polane
Visiting Guest
Karen

I would go with Sw's Everclean. The flat in that line is just as washable as the satin or semi gloss. In case you want a flat look to the walls.

Sw also makes a product called ProClassic acrlylic. It gives the characteristics of an oil but in an acrylic formula. It's a harder finish than the Superpaint line. Available in satin, s/g, and gloss.

hope this helps

Old 02-12-02, 05:22 AM
Visiting Guest
THANKS EVERYONE!

I appreciate all the advice & opinions. We have decided to go with the Sherwin Williams EverClean line for the walls in satin/eggshell finish with the ProClassic acrylic for the trim. And everything is on sale now-lol!

Karen

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: