Kitchen Cabinets

Old 01-29-02, 09:19 AM
The Shadow
Visiting Guest
Question Kitchen Cabinets

Hi Chip! The Shadow here. You asked to hear about my cabinets. The cabinets are solid wood and painted a yucky yellow enamel. I took all the doors and draws out, removed hinges, washed with TSP, and applied wood filler for holes and gashes. Next I lightly sanded with a random orbital sander (Black & Decker Sandstorm, which I bought for this project and to use as the rest of the wood-work in the house needs attention).

I used Shervin Williams Pro-Classic Enamel semi gloss and a china bristle brush. The project included 30 doors and 8 drawers plus the cabinet. since this was the first time I'd done this sort of thing, I did 10 doors first. There were brush stokes visible and I was not satisfied. Sherwin Williams thought that I should thin the paint with a product called Penetrol, which thins the paint without changeing the properties of the paint. This really helped.

I've completed the 1st set of 10 doors and all the drawers and have the second set of 10 doors drying from the 2nd coat.

One question I do have is that two of the initial doors are not fitting very well back on the cabinet. It's almost like they swelled and will not close. These two doors are curved as they are on the end of the cabinet (the only curved doors). They are hung correctly, as the hinges were put affixed back to their original position (I believe that the wood is oak, pretty heavy and grain is consistent with oak.. My plan is to take them off and sand down the tops until they fit and then repaint the sanded area. Any thoughts.

Many, many, many lessons learned from this project from paint brush cleaners, to the benefits of using tack cloth and why whiping with a damp rag AFTER sanding is a big NO NO!!

The Shadow

Old 01-30-02, 11:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you got it going on. The penatrol does help, I usually just use thinner but less of it, if it is working for you then stick with it. i too come across doors and such that was fitted good before painting but doesn't after, you wouldn't think the paint is thick enough to cause prob;ems but sometimes it happens, I leave it for the cabnet makers to fix, in your case, what you said is going to be the trick, not much choice.

I am glad everything is going smooth for ya, if what you said above is all that went wrong, then you can't ask for much better for a first time cabnet painter And the door sticking wasn't even a mistake on your part! When you repaint the sanded edge of the doors, be sure to wipe clean any paint that might accidentally get on the face of the door, your brush may slip around the edge and get some on the face.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: