how to paint over PLASTIC tiles?

Old 01-31-02, 12:39 PM
Visiting Guest
how to paint over PLASTIC tiles?

I have faux-marble, PINK PLASTIC stick-on tiles on the walls of my downstairs half bath (don't ask). Eventually, I will renovate that whole room with wainscoting, but for now, I would like to just paint over them. Any suggestions on how to do this, surface prep, what paint to use etc? I would like to use a semi gloss or gloss paint since typical tiles are smooth and shiny. Thanks!

Old 02-01-02, 08:02 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
I think an epoxy based paint would work the best but this is a very dificult task. Any soap or water residue will cause problems. I would talk to several paint stores until I heard a consensus of opinions.

Old 02-04-02, 01:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your answer, Toucansam. I guess I'll have to do some footwork. I was hoping that by posting my question here, and getting those opninions, I wouldn't have to go to several paint stores!

Does anyone else have a suggestion on how to deal with this little project? Any master painters out there? Thanks!

Old 02-04-02, 04:34 PM
Visiting Guest
vanOs,

I have never painted plastic tiles before so take this in stride. Some plastics have no mechanical bonding capabilities, paint being a mechanical bond, these types of plastics (not nessasarily your tile) must be chemically bonded, which means actually fused together, such as plexi-glass, it cannot be simply glued or siliconed together (mechanical bond), it must be put together with a special agent that actually melts the plastic and fuses it into each other, thus a chemical bond. I learned this while making a wet-dry filter for a miniture reef aquarium, the plexi-glass manufacterer also said that there is no paint that will chemically bond to it thus is not suitable for painting.

Now this does not nesasarily mean that you can't paint your tiles, I would suggest plan on removing the tiles but trying to paint them first, just to see if it will work. The type of epoxie paints that are made for painting ceramic and fiberglass fixtures may work well, such as found here: http://www.integritycoatings.com/index.html

Also Zinsser makes primers they claim will stick to almost any glossy surface, you can check out there products here: http://www.zinsser.com and you can more than likely find a store locally that carries Zinsser's products. Then you can paint over with a paint of your choice, if the primer works, so will the paint.

Before applying anything, make sure the surface is very clean and lightly sand to scuff the surface and remove the dust, I suggest a 220 grit sandpaper.

Like I said, I never painted the plastic stick on tiles, so I cannot guarantee any results.

Old 02-04-02, 08:12 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Zinsser 123

Sand and prep as Chifo says and try the Zinsser 123. I have had good luck with this....Mike

Old 02-05-02, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Chip and Mike, thanks a lot. I'll definitely check out Zinsser. Just need to make that bathroom look less offensive while I work on other renovations in other parts of the house. Can't do 'em all at once!

Old 02-05-02, 02:26 PM
toucansam
Visiting Guest
This is a little OT but I live in an 85 year new house. I just ripped the tile out of one of the bathrooms and it was metal with porcelean glaze on it (simular to how appliances are done) Anyone know the age of that stuff? It was the standard bath tile size.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: