painting furniture

Old 01-31-02, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Question painting furniture

I have wood furniture which has never been painted only stained and varnished. I now want to paint it. Do I need to strip off all the old varnish? Can I just clean it well with mineral spirits or TSP and paint? Do I need to prime? Thanks Martha

Old 01-31-02, 04:52 PM
Visiting Guest
No, no and yes.

First clean well with TSP and rinse, mineral spirits work too, then sand lightly but entirely with a 220 grit sandpaper, remove dust with a tack cloth, prime, lightly sand again, remove dust and paint.

I personally use oil based primer, but there are waterborne primers that claim to work too, one being Zinssers 123, I would also use an oil based paint, but again latex's are getting tougher and tougher, just be sure it is a quality trim type paint, I also recomend 2 coats of paint.

Old 01-31-02, 08:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Thank you sooo much. I surfed the net forever looking far an answer. You are a life saver. Thanks from a beginner

Old 02-07-02, 06:15 PM
Visiting Guest
use a primer

I have used waterbased primers before and have been happy with the results. I also have used latex on furniture and been successful. I would recomend a coat of clear, matte sealant after you are through to protect paint from chipping!
God Bless,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: