need faux painting advice

Old 02-05-02, 03:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile need faux painting advice

hey y'all

i'm painting the inside of a dance hall--we want to do it mexican terracotta colors, and it's on stucco! the base color is soft yellow.
what i need to know:
-what kind of paint to use? latex with a glaze, straight up cheap latex?

-WHAT COLORS? we want an brownish-orange color, but we want layering, dudes! is it best to use 4 close shades of terracotta, or go wacky like orange, brown, tan, and rust? help!

-should we do an undercoat, or can we get away with just going for it on the yellow background?

-would it be best to do a glaze after to protect it?

i appreciate any experience with faux you can give me.

stucco in seoul,
sarah

Old 02-07-02, 05:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking use a latex with a glaze

I like to use a glaze mixed in with the latex, if you can't find a glaze you can use small amounts of water.
I would apply two colors over the yellow, a terracotta red with an overglaze of brown (to tone it down a bit).
Use a ragging technique followed by a sponge. Keep it loose and avoid patterns, don't let your sponge be too wet or you will get drips!
God Bless,

Old 02-07-02, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
glaze craze

ebmiller,
thanks for the specific and useful tips!!!!!!! I am wondering about the glaze process--do you add the glaze to the paint in the mixing tray, or do you get the dudes at the paint store to add it intot the paint can and then mix it for you?

-how much glaze is needed for each gallon of paint?

--can I use some orange in there, in addition to terracotta red and brown? is three colors too much color, or would it be good for the layering effect?

--do you rag the walls, then sponge to sort of blend the whole mess after? I want to avoid a schmeared look.

Ive never used this painging technique before. Any key tips for a first timer?

thanks miller time
sarah

Old 02-07-02, 11:51 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The important thing is that the yellow you have now is not a matt/porous finish...If it is then you wil have to apply a clear glaze throughout..You can then sponge on your different colours randomly and soften/blend these together with a colour wash if the finish looks to "schmeared"...1. mix one part water to one part glaze and mix that to one part colour.
(Used darkest colour first)

1. mix one part water to one part glaze and mix that to one part colour.

2. for smooth uneven coverage on a small surface, The first person applies glaze in a criss-cross fashion with a fully loaded brush
. First, paint it on from top to bottom; then run brush over it from side to side; finally, move from top to bottom again. Reload brush as needed. (for large surfaces, apply glaze with a roller. If you load roller well with glaze, you may not have to criss-cross your glaze; if it looks even enough on the first pass) working in 2 ft wide strips from ceiling to floor so that the glaze doesn't dry two quickly to be sponged off.
Glaze should be very wet, almost runny. The second person immerses the sponge in bucket of water, then wrings sponge thoroughly. (wring sponge often and wring out well during the process.)

3. before glaze dries if, second person repeatedly pats sponge lightly against wall, turning its slightly in air to avoid creating the same pattern each time.

For large surfaces, second person must follow first-person closely, working in two feet wide vertical strips. Make sure edges of strips meet but don't overlap and form dark edges .
4. when completed the effect should be dry enough to hold its pattern. If it does start to run in places then just pat with a sponge once again.

5. when everything is completely dry your work should now be sealed with a clear glaze or satin water based varnish.

6. repeat steps 1 to 4 using second colour. (2nd lightest)

7. the lightest colour can be sponged on (instead of off) very lightly ,here and there to help blend the last two together. This procedure produces wonderful depth and it's often hard to tell where one colour starts and others finish.

Sponging on

When mixing the three colours for this technique , first prepare a big container of the darkest colour.

Pour two-thirds of that into another container, and add some white acrylic to get your medium colour.
Add the White a little at that time, testing in between until you get the hue you desire.
Then Finally, pour half of the medium colour into another container, and add enough white to produce your lighter shade. Make this shade whiter than you might want because it will dry transparent and look darker.

A good way to give extra depth to a sponged finish is by employing several tones of the same hue. You can create the tones by adding various amounts of White to whatever colour you choose. A maximum of four times is recommended, however, because with more than four colours the finish can turn blotchy.
No matter how many tones you include, you'll get the most appealing results by allowing the based coat to show through and placing the lightest toned glaze on top.

1. pour medium- tone glaze into a roller tray. Dip sponge in water to soften, and wring well. Begin sponging on medium glaze. Cover entire service, from top to bottom, working into for a wide vertical strips. Allow glaze to dry. Rinse out sponges and roller and refill bucket with a freshwater.

2. Fill tray with darkest glaze. Soften sponge in water .Apply glaze to entire surface in 2 ft- wide strips, but this time create horizontal strips from top to bottom. Let glaze dry.
Clean sponges and tray, a change water in bucket.

3. finally, repeat the process with light is glaze. Put it on in

2 ft wide at vertical strips, working from top to bottom.
At this point check your final effect for evenness. If uneven in places use the sponge and lightest colour to touch up..

Hope this helps..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: