repainting or staining burned woodwork

Old 02-11-02, 07:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up repainting or staining burned woodwork

I live in a house that was built in 1848. The kitchen was refinished years ago in a tongue and grove, wide boards, I believe of pine. Several years ago, the previous owners caught the kitchen on fire. Instead of sanding down and restaining, they covered this up with another wood, which was horrible. I recently tore the top layer off and got down to the original walls. I have sanded down to the bare wood but cannot seem to get the stain to match the rest of the room. The wood seems to drink up the stain and then it again looks like it was burnt. What should I do to get this back to the original color?

Old 02-12-02, 06:14 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
moody50, Heat cures wood and that by nature darkens it. This is no matter unless it is so dark that even the lightest stain in the correct color is darker that what you are matching. I assume you have the best stain color choice. I would try wood bleaching kits but problem here is they are sold mostly for furniture finishing and could take a few kits(not cheap). The main product in these kits is hydrogen peroxide but it alone has limited affect on wood but a couple of times may be enough. I do wish I knew what other two products are in these bleaching kits beyond peroxide (2000...any ideas...made by Formbys) because they could no doubt be bought in quarts or gallons.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: