redocorating paneling

Old 02-17-02, 04:07 PM
karli
Visiting Guest
redocorating paneling

I want to change the color of my den walls. They are currently a dark paneling. I understand that I will need to use a primer first. I do not particually like the simply painted paneling look. I would like to do something other than just paint over the paneling with one color. I want to lessen the obviousness of the vertical lines. Are there some other techniques or procedures that I can use to avoid the obviously painted paneling look? How difficult is it to use wallpaper over paneling? Would it be easire to just take the paneling down and use drywall? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ! ! ! ! !

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-02, 09:11 AM
LisaKontz
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Painted Paneling

Karli, if you are going to paint your paneling you will have to first sand it with a simple palm sander to scuff the surface. Then wash with TSP and let dry. This will give your primer a good surface to adhire to. You can use joint compound or caulk and fill in the lines...a bit time consuming but easy to do. And unless you are really wanting to hide the line i would only do a couple coats in the cracks. Some shrinking of the joint pound will happen, but your lines will be less noticable. You then have to prime the surface .(better two coats on paneling)..i prefer Benjamin Moore Fresh Start. Then it is up to you. I have had good luck with a Double roller with two complimentary colors. OR....if you dont want to go through the trouble of filling in all the cracks you can use them as your guide lines for stripes. This only draw back is that it takes some time for the paint to cure completely and some chipping of the paint will occure, especially if you have kids!!! Good luck.

Lisa