OMG i'm going insane with these walls!

Old 02-17-02, 04:22 PM
blistexluv
Visiting Guest
Angry OMG i'm going insane with these walls!

if somebody can help me *please* do! i'm tearing my hair out...

here's the story:
we just bought a house. the walls are covered in TWO layers of wallpaper, and who knows how many coats of paint! i tackled the first room with wallpaper-remover goop. it did not work very well. i had gashes into the wallboard by the time i got most of the old wallpaper off. plus the glue was still stuck in a layer to the wallboard (no, the people did NOT size the walls originally). so i spackled the dents, holes, and corners, sanded, respackled some spots, resanded...i have a few liters of dust in my lungs as we speak...so today, a full week later i decided i was finally able to prime. well, wouldn't you know it, the layer of glue that was still stuck to the walls began bubbling and peeling as i primed.
i have tried a wallpaper steamer and a soaked sponge to get the glue off - doesn't work, it just turns things into a gloopy mess. i tried peeling the glue layer off after it bubbled with the primer, which *sort of* works, but it takes millimeters off at a time. at this rate i'll have that *&!%&$ layer off in three years...so that's not an option.
btw, i used the wallpaper steamer for the second room from the beginning, and it also left the glue layer up, through it took the wallpaper itself off very quickly and cleanly. but i'm still stuck with the glue.
and there are more rooms to go! this is the biggest headache i've ever run across! you wouldn't believe the nightmare unless you've lived it!
so what can i do? i'm certainly no carpenter. here some are things i've thought of:
-i used water-based primer. would oil-based do the same to that glue layer? if not i could simply use kilz in the remaining rooms, which would be much easier.
-finish priming, wait for the bubbles to come, spackle and sand them when they're dry, and put another coat of primer up. but i'm not sure if it would solve the problem (ie, would the second coat cause *NEW* bubbling, would i be spackling and sanding *everything*?)
-put an *entirely* new coat of plaster up on top of the walls. but if it's something for the skilled carpenter or painter it's not something i could do...i'm pretty handy, not skilled. i wouldn't know how to get the layer nice and even.

so, if anyone has any ideas/ suggestions i would very much appreciate anything.

Old 02-18-02, 07:31 AM
LisaKontz
Visiting Guest
Wink Glue problem

I simpathize with your glue problem...if you havent already gotten an answer try this...i have used Downey Fabric Softener with hot water..sprayed on the walls let set and then scrape or use a bristle brush to scrub it off...it loosened the glue really well for me. After all the glue is off I used TSP to scrub the wall so that the fabric softener wasnt left off the walls which can also mess up a paint job. Then rinse with warm water. Hope this helps.

Lisa

Old 02-19-02, 02:37 PM
clare
Visiting Guest
I don't know if my method will work for you, I got this technique from an old carpenter buddy. It was a godsend for me. My wall paper is very old and the vinyl peels right off, which is a major boon for me too.

But anyway...

Once I've peeled the vinyl off, (or perferate it if it doesn't peel) I spray it down (and I mean saturate it) with very hot (steaming from the faucet) water mixed with wallpaper remover stuff. I have this mixture in one of those cheap garden sprayers that you have to pump. I'm using the citrus kind offered at Lowe's and Home Depot (Strip Plus WallPaper remover).

So...I spray once, let sit for 1/2 and hour or so (so that it is absorbed by the paper) and spray again and let sit again. THEN...the paper and paste scrape off VERY easily. Sooooooo much better than the methods I tried before. I credit the ease to the HOT water saturation and the letting it sit for a spell.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-02, 06:48 PM
DebiG
Visiting Guest
glue problem

I ran into the same thing...so I sanded the wall with anhand sander then faux finished

Old 02-20-02, 07:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Once you have stripped the walls and you want to avoid the headache of removing glue then do this...When the walls are dry,rub them down and fill damaged areas..rub down again where you have filled and then seal the filled areas with a primer...Then hang lining paper which when dry will give you an excellent base for painting over....Job done!!

Old 02-27-02, 01:39 AM
gregory001
Visiting Guest
Oh I find this so funny,but you must think back on how the glue was applied.The glue is a water based glue,excepting for wet areas where they use a much stronger glue(Hence the steam)When you apply steam,what you are doing is softening the glue and reactivating it,thats why the wallpaper comes off..
So what you are doing when you apply a water based primer is the same thing,reactivating the glue!

Ill tell you how its done,PROPERLY>>>>

First tear off the first layer of paper to expose the middle of the wallpaper.Clean up the mess and put the paper in plastic bags!!Put towells or old sheets rolled up at the base of the walls to be stripped to protect the carpets from water..Dont take on to much at once.One full wall is adequate>

Get a normal household garden sprayer(FORGET THE STEAMER),add one litre of normal metholated spirits,top it up with hot water.Spray from the top down and soak the "whole" wall well,
Have yourself a cup of tea and spray the wall once again,you will find the wallpaper very easy to remove with a flat blade.Keep the wall wet and when the paper comes off,use the blade to remove the glue,the best you can.Clean up again.Use the same principle to scrub the glue off the wall,if you lick your finger and put it on the wall and it sticks?scrub the wall again.
Last but not least,Use an OIL BASED UNDERCOAT (this will not react with the glue)leave it overnight and apply your Acrylic top coats.
I have been an interior decorator for 20 years and this is the quickest,easiest way to remove wallpaper as well as having your morning tea.We actually do all 4 walls at once and it takes about 1 hr for 2 men a room.If someone else needs to know how to remove the wallpaper from wet areas,email me and Ill be happy to tell you/
gregory001@hotmail.com

Old 02-27-02, 08:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yeah thats fine if you have lovely skimmed walls...Even beter if they were previously painted/sealed...
This person had unsealed wallboard (dry lining)that had been gouged by by oversoaking and heavyhanded stripping.
In this case it is far better to prep the walls and renew the damaged paper layer with 1000 grade lining paper...
Ive been a professonal decorator for 22 years.

Old 03-01-02, 03:51 AM
jbrad
Visiting Guest
I'm no interior decorator, but I have been in your exact same perdicament. I had a room that had 4 layers of wallpaper and it was all REAL paper (no vinyl). It was glued straight to my plaster walls and some of it was glued straight to a section of dry wall. When I attempted to peel it off of the dry wall, the facing of the dry wall began to peel off. Ugh! There was no way I was going to be able to get the wall paper off without defacing my dry wall. I was able to get the paper off the plaster walls with a steamer, although it did take several hours. Unfortunately, the plaster walls had hundreds of holes and cracks in them. I was able to get the glue off with "Dep" wallpaper remover. This is the best stuff for the glue. Don't go with a cheep brand or the gel. Use the concentrate.

After removing the paper and glue I was stuck with the half defaced drywall and a hole/crack infested wall. What did I do? What I should have done in the first place. I hired a drywall man to come in and completly cover my walls with drywall compound. Note that he did not replace the drywall or plaster, he just went over the whole wall with drywall compound using a 4 step process. What is unfortuanate for me is that he could have done this straight over the wallpaper. I was concerned about how well the half defaced drywall portion would look, but it wound up looking great. My walls looked like glass when he was done. So, I recommend if you have any serious defects in your wall, to have a professional come in and do what this guy did for me. It cost about 400 dollars for a 15' X 15' room. It was well worth it.

Old 03-09-02, 04:36 PM
keck
Visiting Guest
My sister had the same problem only glued to real plaster walls (100 year old house) - 5 layers of wall paper. She steamed off the paper and then decided to go with the look of damamged walls - she color glazed them and they look nice. Kind like a fresco. But, if you want smooth walls this won't help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: