Pros/ COns of not removing wallpaper before rewallpapering or re painting

Old 02-23-02, 09:33 PM
NeedAssistance
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Pros/ COns of not removing wallpaper before rewallpapering or re painting

Hi,
Ok, im a sophmore in high school and my room could pass for that of a 4 year olds....pink and white striped wallpaper, with white wooden paneling framing the flowery border at the top of the room. I DESPERATELY want to change my room but my mother says trying to remove the paper is too hard and it may not even come off and then it would just look awful. i was wondering if it is really necessary to remove the paper before painting it or re wallpapering it? And if i MUSt remove the wallpaper what is the easiest way to remove it effectively? The wallpaper was put on in 1994 and so far there has been no lifting.PLEASE help me....

Old 02-24-02, 06:31 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello NeedAssistance, your mother is right to proceed with caution because anything can happen as you begin to strip paper. The two most common problems would be the paper is very difficult to remove or comes off but does a lot of damage to the walls. On the bright side it may come right off leaving no more than the need for a good washing and a little patching before painting or new paper. I would say your odds of being able to paint are 50-50 without a great deal of time involved. This is what to do once committed to doing something. First try to pick the corner of a sheet and see if it will pull right off. It could be solid vinyl and come right off but be careful, this stuff is bad to pull wall with it. If it appears to be vinyl coated paper meaning made from mostly paper pick up a good wallpaper stripper and one of the best is DIF by Zinsser and mix according to label directions. Start on one sheet and wet several times over the course of as much as an hour making sure it never dries completely out. The best way to apply stripper is with a yard and garden sprayer but sponging on will work also. At some point try to pick the front off and hopefully all will come off but will probably leave a paper backing. Once down to backing rewet a time or two and the backing should come right off. If you want to paint the paste must be completely removed because it will bleed through latex paint. Removing paste is much the same as stripping except after wetting and a little time the paste softens and can be sponged off. To paper- wash, sand, patch or whatever is needed to get the walls as smooth as possible and be wary of any previous paint that has ANY sheen to it such as oil, eggshell, semi gloss etc. If this is the case prime with a wallcovering primer like BITE PRIMER, Zinsser Universal Wallcovering Primer. If flat paint paper can go right over it after the smoothing process you choose to igo into. If you have any questions get back in here and tell your mom you can DIY with some help from your friends.....Best of luck....Mike

Old 02-24-02, 07:51 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I just noticed....

.....that I only answered part of your question. Pros/cons to painting/hanging over paper. Of the two options I would rather see you paper over paper than to paint it. First, no matter what I would make sure the paper would not come off easily before doing anything. Even if it appears tight. You could be surprised how easy it could come down.
The problems with painting paper are: (1) Once painted it can be impossible to strip in the future because its sealed up and no or little water/stripper can get through it. (2) The seams and irregularities will stand out once painted even if all looks good, smooth and tight right now. (3) Painting paper tends to loosen paper creating bubbles that most often dry out but sometimes not.
Papering over paper is a better deal in that you can get back to the first coat of paper someday and start with the process in my first post without much extra work.
The first step is to find out what you are dealing with. Whatever you do DON'T destroy the walls stripping just to come back in here to find out how to fix them and thats where I am going with the advice to work on one sheet at first. If the wall starts getting in bad shape you are only dealing with one small area. We can help you through your project which ever way you decide to go....Mike

Old 02-24-02, 08:02 AM
jlob66
Visiting Guest
Alternatives to changing walls

Pink stripes with a flower border; pretty bad. But what are your curtains and bed linens like? All ruffles and gingham and pink? Maybe if you change them, you can change the whole look of the room. This approach has several good points:
It will exercise your creativity.
It will teach how to adjust to something you dislike (wall-paper, a new boss) with a minimum of fuss, an important skill in life
You will learn to sew, another handy little skill.
When your mother realizes how much fabric costs, she may agree to have the paper removed.
You are a sophmore in high-school? Your mother may:
a. not want to admit that you're not a little girls anymore (I hope you're a girl; expecting a teen-age boy to live in that room would be fully sadistic)
b. be thinking you'll be going to college in a couple of years anyhow, so why go to the expense of changing the room now?

Old 02-24-02, 01:52 PM
darren608
Visiting Guest
bollocks use a steam stripper

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: