Painting New sealed drywall

Old 02-24-02, 06:12 PM
viking66
Visiting Guest
Painting New sealed drywall

In the process of building a new home, and I have contracted the painting myself. If the new sheetrock has a seal coat on it, do I need to use primer on the walls before painting?

Old 02-25-02, 07:18 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
viking66, the sheetrock used in my area has no product on it that prevents the need for a primer. The outer paper is sized a bit but not primed. Get back with what you have because there could be something out there I need to know about and may not need to be primed as far as the sheetrock goes but you still have raw joint compound to deal with....Mike

Old 03-03-02, 10:26 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
If "seal coat" implies the so-called builders-primer or coating....no. However, when a guy builds and sells homes for a living, chances are, he uses the cheapest product on the market in order to get the maximum profit out of you, the buyer. I will always put a good sealer on drywall, and sometimes on what we think of as 'builder's paint/primer' because you can bet that it's the cheapest stuff that was supplied in the bid. For the cost of the job, (say 2-3,000 sq ft home), 2 or 3 pails of decent primer would only run you 120 bucks or so. Best to prime. You'll use less paint and the sheen and color will be more uniform than withour it, and that advantage will endure for years more than the initial cost of a bit of primer friend.

Old 03-03-02, 06:09 PM
viking66
Visiting Guest
Cool

Thanks Guys,

I did Primer the whole house and the paint job looks real good.

I had a crew of family over all weekend to finish the entire job.

I used the best primer I could buy, and also the best paint I could buy.

Have a good one, and thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: