painting trim and door

Old 02-25-02, 07:02 AM
eparker174
Visiting Guest
painting trim and door

I have a old home full of crown moulding, baseboard moulding and doors that have never been painting.. The stain is very dark and oppresive. Despite the outrage and criticism from everyone I know I have decided that I will paint the trim a semigloss white. I want my house to be bright and airy. My question is how do I begin. Do i need to sand first or do I need to strip it, what primer do I use. If I don't get it right I will hear "I told you so" for the rest of my life. Help!!

Old 03-03-02, 10:35 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
You're fortunate to have the old trim in an 'old home' man....now to the guts of it...what if the trim is really nice if cleaned....or better yet, stripped? Stain is dark, rarely the wood....You'd never know. Give that a try first. Take a look-see. Now, if you insist on painting....prime with oil or a top grade acrylic...then paint it white (how boring over natural wood though)...you have nothing to lose by stripping a few feet of trim to expose the wood....you might be surprised, or I might be a fool too...however, once white, you'd NEVER again tackle that job....If you do....I'd recommend Benjamin Moore 200-00 sealer or Insl-x Primelock as the first step before painting....and paint them Decorator White, or just offwhite....white would be tacky in an old home....have fun man!

Old 03-03-02, 01:31 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Good advice KeithP and.....

.....be wary if you use the latex primer. After priming a few things make sure the trim isn't bleeding or turning a brownish yellow color. Would hate to go all the way through with latex primer only to find out you need a coat of oil primer to kill the stains/ bleeding. If it is try a couple of coats of topcoat and see what happens. If the topcoat discolors after a day prime with the oil primer and then latex or oil topcoat. A light sanding with some 220 grit sand paper may help smooth things up a bit before priming. Follow these primer/paint directions and your friends may still nag you about painting it but it won't be because it didn't bond.....Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: