crayon!!!

Old 02-25-02, 02:44 PM
nana3578
Visiting Guest
Angry crayon!!!

I am repainting my toddlers rooms. They have crayon all over the place. First I'm scrubbing the walls then sanding then checking again to see if it still shows. I'm going crazy. There is such a thing as too much elbow grease. Please someone tell me whatever they know about painting over serious crayon damage. My daughters room is destined to be light pink so I am very concerned about coverage. Do I have to get every shred of this off the walls first? Thanks for your ideas,,,, nana3578

Old 02-25-02, 04:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I use a product that is shellac based and is called STAINBLOCK..If you cannot find this product or others here cannot help then an oilbased gloss will do the same thing...Just one coat on affected areas left for at least 24 hours to completly cure...then apply your chosen top coat..

Old 02-25-02, 09:12 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Other shellac based primers...

Parks Primer Sealer is great stuff and Zinsser has one also. Also, if you can't get any shellac sealer a couple coats of KILZ Original should do it......Mike

Old 03-03-02, 09:45 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
If you can't locate those....ask a good dealer for Benjamin Moore SPS, or Insl-x Sealock...top grade alcohol-based (shellac) primers that hold back stubborn oil and water-soluable stains.

Old 03-15-02, 01:30 PM
triggerld
Visiting Guest
spray hairspray on the crayon and wipe. it really works!

Old 03-18-02, 10:32 PM
olddiyer
Visiting Guest
all other ideas about stain blocking are good. when you are ready to paint, ask your paint supplier about a paint specifically formulated for crayons. i can't think of the manufacturer but i am sure it is a tint base and can be mixed to whatever color you want.
good luck

Old 03-18-02, 11:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
an excerpt I copied

from The Queen of Clean® website

Removing Crayon
To remove crayon from hard surfaces, spray with WD-40 lubricant and wipe off. Wash with 1 quart warm water and 1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid. To remove crayon from fabrics, spray both sides of the fabric with WD-40. Let sit 15 minutes, then work-in undiluted dishwashing liquid, flush under the hottest water allowable for the fabric and launder as usual.
Maybe this will help, haven't tried it yet, but have a closet full of crayon marks I need to tackle.

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: