Sponge Painting

Old 02-25-02, 06:17 PM
FIREMANLOVE
Visiting Guest
Sponge Painting

I NEED HELP ON SPONGE OR RAG PAINTING. I WANT TO START A PROJECT BUT NOT SURE HOW TO. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT.

THANKS

Old 02-26-02, 06:21 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sponging off

Equipment and materials needed;
Two inch paint brush
Natural sea sponge
Transparent waterbased glaze
Two or three of selected colours water based )
containers to mix paint and glaze together
Paint tray
Bucket of clean water
This method is by far the easiest to master and in my opinion produces the best results (this is easiest as a two-person project.)

1. mix one part water to one part glaze and mix that to one part colour.
(Used darkest colour first)

2. for smooth uneven coverage on a small surface, The first person applies glaze in a criss-cross fashion with a fully loaded brush
. First, paint it on from top to bottom; then run brush over it from side to side; finally, move from top to bottom again. Reload brush as needed. (for large surfaces, apply glaze with a roller. If you load roller well with glaze, you may not have to criss-cross your glaze; if it looks even enough on the first pass) working in 2 ft wide strips from ceiling to floor so that the glaze doesn't dry two quickly to be sponged off.
Glaze should be very wet, almost runny. The second person immerses the sponge in bucket of water, then wrings sponge thoroughly. (wring sponge often and wring out well during the process.)

3. before glaze dries if, second person repeatedly pats sponge lightly against wall, turning its slightly in air to avoid creating the same pattern each time.

For large surfaces, second person must follow first-person closely, working in two feet wide vertical strips. Make sure edges of strips meet but don't overlap and form dark edges .
4. when completed the effect should be dry enough to hold its pattern. If it does start to run in places then just pat with a sponge once again.

5. when everything is completely dry your work should now be sealed with a clear glaze or satin water based varnish.

6. repeat steps 1 to 4 using second colour. (2nd lightest)

7. the lightest colour can be sponged on (instead of off) very lightly ,here and there to help blend the last two together. This procedure produces wonderful depth and it's often hard to tell where one colour starts and others finish.

Sponging on

When mixing the three colours for this technique , first prepare a big container of the darkest colour.

Pour two-thirds of that into another container, and add some white acrylic to get your medium colour.
Add the White a little at that time, testing in between until you get the hue you desire.
Then Finally, pour half of the medium colour into another container, and add enough white to produce your lighter shade. Make this shade whiter than you might want because it will dry transparent and look darker.

A good way to give extra depth to a sponged finish is by employing several tones of the same hue. You can create the tones by adding various amounts of White to whatever colour you choose. A maximum of four times is recommended, however, because with more than four colours the finish can turn blotchy.
No matter how many tones you include, you'll get the most appealing results by allowing the based coat to show through and placing the lightest toned glaze on top.

1. poor medium- tone glaze into a roller tray. Dip sponge in water to soften, and wring well. Begin sponging on medium glaze. Cover entire service, from top to bottom, working into for a wide vertical strips. Allow glaze to dry. Rinse out sponges and roller and refill bucket with a freshwater.

2. Fill tray with darkest glaze. Soften sponge in water .Apply glaze to entire surface in 2 ft- wide strips, but this time create horizontal strips from top to bottom. Let glaze dry.
Clean sponges and tray, a change water in bucket.

3. finally, repeat the process with light is glaze. Put it on in

2 ft wide at vertical strips, working from top to bottom.
At this point check your final effect that evenness. If uneven in places use the sponge and lightest colour to touch up.
Home

Old 03-02-02, 10:29 AM
cbye
Visiting Guest
sponge painting

I wanted to try sponge painting to but I was watching a show called the decorating challenge and they did this neat thing with a plastic bag , which would be alot cheaper than running out and buying glaze I've checked out the prices on that and its quite costly . SO this is a new way of doing it .
first paint your walls the color you want with what ever paint than tint a small amount with white paint just to get a lighter color of what you put on your walls then dab a plastic grocery bag (which you crumpled up into a ball ) into the light tinted paint and dab lightly onto the walls , it makes a marble look and its awesome after your done I did my bedroom walls in a dark dusty rose and then dabbed lighter rose over top every where and it looks like a professional did it , you won't be dissapointed . and it is alot easier on the buget ..try it ..!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: