Painting Laminate Furniture

Old 02-26-02, 07:41 PM
Hoobiejoobie
Visiting Guest
Question Painting Laminate Furniture

I have an old dresser that (unfortunately) I am forced to use at the moment. It is mostly laminate and the frame around the mirror is just plain plastic. I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any types of paint that will stick to this or of any types of techniques to cover it or alter its appearance in any way, because....frankly...it is butt ugly right now!!! Please help!

Old 03-02-02, 09:23 PM
kymlm
Visiting Guest
You can paint it, but it is somewhat risky. Be sure to use Bin primer because it will adhere to shiny surfaces. If you can use a fine grit sand paper and take some of the shine off. But you don't want big scratched showing through your paint job so be lighthanded but thorough. You will also have the best luck using a good quality oil base paint. And be sure to allow ample cure time before subjecting the piece to heavy use. YOu will have to be cautious when moving it or dragging things across the surface because it will not be as durable as paint on regular wood. But if it is butt ugly what do you have to loose. good luck.

Old 03-03-02, 08:10 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
An alternative I prefer on low-abuse furniture pieces is to keep it easy for the customer...acrylic primers are superior in adhesion to shellacs or oils and are dyi-friendly too....CIL makes 'Problem Solver' and Benjamin Moore has 'Fresh Star', but 'Aqualock' from Insl-x is very sticky and will adhere to PVC and glass...dries in an hour and will not shear away when topcoated...you could use a latex paint in a durable finish such as pearl or semigloss as your topcoat. Have fun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: