Edge / Border Help

Old 03-05-02, 06:42 AM
FiberTiger
Visiting Guest
Edge / Border Help

First time painting inside our home and have been pleasantly surprised with our work. Now, we are painting the trim (molding top and bottom of walls, plus door frames). I am not sure if i am trying to be too much of perfectionist or if it really needs to be done this way, but I am unhappy with a first go at the door frames. I've done the top molding border to the ceiling using a straight edge piece and except for 1 or 2 spots of hunting a wet rag, my technique has worked. But upon trying the door frame (the 1/4" perpendicular to the wall), my edge looks "spotty." I don't think I am using to much paint which causes it to bleed. My point is it's not looking as good as everything else and my eyes can't help but focus on this first frame attempted. Any advice on 1) how to correct something already done and 2) how to do the rest of the frame borders? TIA - Matthew

P.S. even tried masking tape on another unobvious edge last night and it too looks "spotty."

Old 03-05-02, 01:28 PM
LawnBoy
Visiting Guest
edging

was the frame prepared before painting, sanded or cleaned? Is it the paint or brush your using or tried another coat? I don't know exactly what you mean by spotty but these other methods have helped me in the past.

Old 03-05-02, 01:34 PM
FiberTiger
Visiting Guest
Follow Up

thanks for the reply, by "spotty" I mean that there is not a continuous straight line. It'll will look straight a little then a few spots, then straight, etc. Sorry if not very descriptive, but basically not the straight edge that I expected.

No, we just cleaned the trim with some elbow grease before painting . The first coat obviously needs a second coat, but it appears to be going as expected. Just need those $%^$( straight lines. Will try some more tonight... Anyone have other suggestions?

TIA - Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: