Help! Need painting design advice

Old 03-07-02, 04:48 PM
zelda930
Visiting Guest
Help! Need painting design advice

Help! I have an old house and have just painted the living room for the 4th time, and I am still not happy. Here is what I have: one wall (w/ fireplace) is knotty pine, the others are drywall. One wall has built in bookcases and french doors. The room also has 4 large windows and crown molding. I had all the trim painted dark and the 3 walls faux painted. I didn't like it, so I just painted the walls a dusty green and the trim and bookcases and french doors bright white. I love the green but I think I now have too much bright white. The ceiling is antique white (from last paint job). So, I'm not sure what the solution is? Maybe paint the bookshelves green to have less white? Or maybe re-paint the trim in off-white?
Should the crown molding match the walls or the ceiling? Help!

Old 03-07-02, 10:35 PM
teatl
Visiting Guest
Try using a lighter shade of tan/taupe that has a similar untone as the green on the trim, moldings, french doors, and fireplace. Paint all your woodwork this color, including the crown molding. It will darken without a yellow that is in a lot of creams (which would clash with a white ceiling), but it will not darken your room so much that it will fill closed in. If the paneled wall is not painted, consider painting it the same tan. Or if you don't want to paint it, make sure the accent color you pick falls within the green and the color of the natural wood. If you find a third color you like--a pink or deep red--paint the inside backs of the bookcases. It is a nice, classic look which might add some more interest, but make sure it isn't too much with the panelled wall. Just a warning *if you paint the woodwork, you might think your ceiling fan is disjointed--but I'm pretty sure you can prime and paint the blades the same color.

Old 03-08-02, 12:53 PM
zelda930
Visiting Guest
ok..well.. I think I understand your advice, but I will still have the wall, the ceiling and the trim in three different colors. I'm not sure that's good. Maybe makes the trim "pop" too much? Also, my wood paneling is beautiful. It's the big, thick broad planks. I stripped it years ago and its very nice looking (although a challenge to decorate around) so I don't want to paint it. Another thing, what do you mean about my ceiling fan... and how did you know I had one..?

Old 03-09-02, 12:54 PM
teatl
Visiting Guest
You're ok with three colors in the room. If you paint the trim a neutral color that falls in the same realm as the paint on the wall, then it won't "pop" too much. Don't make the trim color substantially lighter or darker though--that will make all the difference--intensity. Does the wood paneling have a red undertone? Just make sure that all your accents in the room are the same neutral color. If you leave one different, that is what will make the difference. Oh, and the ceiling fan, I just can't read...but...if you have one just be forewarned. And, instead of painting the backs of the bookcases another accent color, paint them the same green as the walls. That would be a nice touch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: