Ceiling Painting

Old 03-13-02, 05:28 AM
chicarella
Visiting Guest
Ceiling Painting

I have a ceiling in my home which was painted with, what looks like a semi-gloss. I can tell it's not a flat paint because it has a shiny appearance. The ceiling is in good shape, as is the paint job, but we would perfer a flat finish. Can I paint over this with a high quality flat paint flat paint without first applying a primer?

Thanks

Old 03-13-02, 01:39 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
A quick latex vs oil check would be a good idea. Use a dark piece of cloth, apply a liberal amount of nail polish remove a small circular area. If the paint comes off and is transferred to the cloth, it will be latex. If all you do is clean the ceiling in that spot, it's oil. If it's oil, latex will not adhere and it will fail on you. If it were mine, I'd prime it, only because the second best solution would be sanding overhead...neck aches, dust, rinsing the dust from the surface...those things go against my nature...

So, if you prime with a conversion-type acrylic primer such as Moore's Fresh Start, Inslx Aqualock or Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3, you can then apply your ceiling flat on top. The alternative could be, could be mind you, to use the primer as your finish coat also. Not as nice a white as ceiling paint, but less labor. I'd go for the two step approach though as it will look much crisper in the finishing white.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: