Painting Formica Counter Tops

Old 03-25-02, 10:41 AM
amy@primexlmd.c
Visiting Guest
Question Painting Formica Counter Tops

I have just bought an older home and the counter tops in my kitchen are a yellow color that I don't like. I have heard of people painting formica counter tops. I don't know how it is done, if there is any special paint or primer to use?? Also, there are some nicks in the counter, can thoes be repaired or filled somehow before painting is done? So that way all is smooth when finished.
I appriciate your help. Thankyou!

Old 03-27-02, 06:34 PM
downrush
Visiting Guest
If you figure it out let me know, I just bought a house that has a bathroom with lots of formica...and it is HOT PINK! (it really needs to be painted)

Old 03-27-02, 06:51 PM
tracie
Visiting Guest
painting formica

It seems like I've read at the bob vila site about this. There IS a particular method. Sanding, wiping it all down and then using an epoxy paint...I was thinking of doing this to my own countertops. I also emailed FORMICA and they sent me a big project email showing step by step what you need to do. It didn't seem to difficult, I just haven't had time to do it. I would copy the email, but it's been deleted. Just write them.
Tracie

Old 03-28-02, 09:18 AM
Deb Green
Visiting Guest
Cool Painting formica countertops

I have read quite a lot about painting formica tops. I marbleized my bathroom countertop and then put two coats of varnish on top, but the varnish yellowed. So recently I am redecorating my bathroom in Italian/Roman/Greek decor, so I re-painted my countertop in earthtone marble, then put 3 coats of polyurethane on top. It has held up very well. There was some question about kitchen countertops, as polyurethane might be hazardous if you were cutting things on the counter, and it got in the food. Personally, I wouldn't be cutting on my countertop if it was painted like I wanted it, I would be using a cutting board. As long as you put a few clear coats of varnish, shellac, or polyurethane, it will hold up very well. I am getting ready to do my kitchen countertops myself. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: