nicotine seeping through bathroom paint

Old 03-28-02, 10:36 AM
habamom
Visiting Guest
nicotine seeping through bathroom paint

I am really clueless about painting so bear with me...

The elderly man who lived in our house before us was a heavy smoker. When he passed away and the house was prepared for market the inlaws didn't clean the walls but painted over them with a thick layer of matte paint.

This seems to be fine in most of the house, but in the bathroom nicotine is seeping through the paint and making brown spots. These spots can be washed off with a lot of elbow grease, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem so we get more spots later. I think it is the humidity that is doing this.

Do I need to strip the paint in this room? If so, is there a "green" (environmentally friendly) way to do this? My infant will be nearby and I don't want to expose him to anything caustic.

Thanks so much.

Old 03-28-02, 12:08 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
If it were nicotine, I'd expect the bleeding to be elsewhere (living room, bedroom) and the stains would be more blotchy, covering larger areas, especially the ceiling. If not, this is likely a mildew/humidity problem. Is there a fan venting the bathroom? Assuming your small brownish spots are mildew, wash all the walls and ceiling with household bleach and hot water (50/50), dry and apply two coats of a water-based mildew-resistant product like 'Permawhite' by Zinsser. It contains a mildicide that resists further growth and they guarantee it for 5 years, satin or semigloss finishes. Hope this helps some...I'll watch for your reply.

Old 03-28-02, 11:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is just possible that the old guy just used to smoke in the bath!!
In that case a shellac based stain block is the way to go..

Old 03-29-02, 01:32 PM
habamom
Visiting Guest
i dunno, here's a picture...

OK, I don't know if it will help, but I have put two digital images at http://www.kleincentral.com/paint.htm

These pictures show the ceiling and the wall behind the wallboard stuff that covers half the wall.

NO, there is NOT a fan in this room! In the summer we left the window (which is in the shower) open a little bit. We hope to replace this window with glass block and a venting window. Do you think I should make sure that gets done this summer?

Thank you again for all your help!

Old 03-29-02, 02:05 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Looks like a good cleaning, then the shellac-based primer as toptosher said. B-I-N by Zinsser or another quality product. Prime the whole ceiling, then repaint. A fan would always be a good investment. Good idea those pictures. Keep us posted.

Old 03-29-02, 05:03 PM
Cathy B
Visiting Guest
I concur with Keith's proposal. We encountered a nearly brown ceiling in the family room of our house when we bought it. The BIN 1-2-3 did the trick. No sign of nicotine by sight or smell. The stinky dog smell was gone, too!

If there was a time to invest in a meticulous paint job this would be it. You don't want to miss an INCH of nicotine-stained area.

Good luck!
Cathy

Old 03-29-02, 06:38 PM
habamom
Visiting Guest
what should I use to clean the walls?

What should I use to clean the walls? I see "TSP" referred to often in these posts. It seems like something that would be chemically potent, though.

Old 03-29-02, 08:02 PM
Cathy B
Visiting Guest
Yes, TSP is trisodium phosphate. It's a granular substance you mix with water. It's a great way of taking excessive grime and dirt off the walls before priming. I used it today to clean off the walls after stripping the wallpaper off.

Hope that helps.

Cathy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: