Interior Painting

Old 03-28-02, 03:17 PM
GENO
Visiting Guest
Question Interior Painting

I AM, BY NO MEANS AHANDYMAN. I AM TIRED OF THE PAINT IN ONE OF MY ROOMS. I PURCHASED A LIVLIER COLOR WASHED ALL THE WALLS, PAINTED THE SEALING , LAID THE DROP CLOTHS, ETC. MY QUESTION, THE PAINT , ON THE WALL NOW, IS ASEMI-GLOSS. DO I HAVE TO SAND THE SURFACE, AND HOW MUCH DO I SAND, IF I AM COVERING THE WALL WITH LATEX. I PURCHASED A SANDING BLOCK. I TESTED AN AREA BY SANDING, WASHING AND PAINTING. ILOKKED OVER THE JOB TODAY AND IT SEEMS AS IF THE OTHER COLOR IS BLEEDING THROUGH. DO I HAVE TO SAND IT MORE OR MERELY GIVE IT TWO COATS?

Old 03-28-02, 03:24 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Geno...what is the 'other' color, the previous one? Burgundy? Off-white, safety yellow? What color are you using now? Deep color, light? Is the previous finish latex or oil? Test the old color with a piece of rag with nail polish remover on it, if when rubbed, the old color is transferred to the rag, it was latex, if not, it was oil. Why did you feel you needed to sand? What was the clue? Get back to us on that please.

Old 03-29-02, 11:17 AM
GENO
Visiting Guest
Wink NEW PAINTER

KEITH, THANK-YOU, YOU WERE THE ONLY RESPONSE . AS TO THE PAINT, IT IS APALE GREEN AND I AM COVERING IT WITH A PEACH COLOR. I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND TEST ALITTLE AREA OF THE WALL. THE REASON, I THOUGHT, I HAD TO SAND, I TOLD YOU I WASN'T A HANDYMAN AND I LISTEN TO THE ADVICE OF OTHERS. IN THIS CASE THEY SEEM TO BE WRONG. THEY TOLD ME THE PAINT WOULDN'T BE POUROUS SO YOU HAVE TO ROUGHH UP THE SURFACE.

Old 03-29-02, 11:44 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Sanding the old paint lightly will always benefit the 'tooth' it gives the new coat, then remove the dust with a damp rag. The wall will appear smoother if lightly sanded too, less imperfections. Get back about the oil/latex test, then we'll finish off your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: