Pressure Washing my House

Old 03-29-02, 07:31 PM
Senna
Visiting Guest
Question Pressure Washing my House

I am getting ready to pressure wash my house to prepare it for painting. It is brick and wood. I plan on repainting the wood not the brick. But I am going to spray off the brick and was wondering if there is anything I need to put on either(the brick or the wood) before I pressure wash it.
Also, I am going to spray the sidwalks and brick patio and was wondering if I should put bleach or anything else on it before I spray it.

Thanks for any help,
Senna

Old 03-30-02, 12:14 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if your power washer works at a decent pressure then nothing but water is needed...

Old 03-30-02, 03:40 AM
Senna,
You could use a garden pump sprayer and a mild bleach solution on the brick and concrete areas. The bleach will kill any mildew or algae and it will come off slightly more easily.
fred

Old 04-02-02, 10:40 PM
Y
home depot

home depot has cleaners made by Zep
you can hook them to the pressure washer suction tube and wash and spray at same time
they are only about 7 bucks a gallon

Old 04-03-02, 02:58 AM
Senna,
Great. Now you've got three different answers. I will try to explain:
1. A pressure washer alone will not clean completely. Although only a few hundred lbs pressre, you know how those hand car washes work by just spraying - the dirt film remains.

2. Most cleaners, and if used with any bleach, need time to work on the dirt, mildew, and algae. I occasioally pw houses: pre-sparay with light pressure, brush with a cleaning solution, then PW.

3. I haven't even considered using my suction tube to do any PW,
It won't clean as good as #2 above.

fred

Old 04-03-02, 08:01 AM
Y
fewalt how are you
i just have to make a comment about your post
a few hundred lbs of pressure is not a pressure washer
my washer is a 13 hp gas that can take limbs off trees
3500 psi no residue left
i have done lots of cleaning and with the combo of the cleaner and pressure i get great results
i think they can be rented at most home depots
just be careful to use the right tip so you dont harm anything
good luck

Old 04-03-02, 08:27 AM
yongeman,
Let me explain further.
The refeence to the 300 lb car wash pw only makes a point that even after pw there is still a dirt film.
My 13hp belt-driven Mi-T-M(3500) does great too , but a slight dirt film and some spots 'can' still remain. I brush my houses first with a soft brush and cleaner solution. This also keeps me off a ladder most of the time, as all I have to do is rinse. My customer's
appreciate the extra effort.
take care,
fred

Old 04-03-02, 07:08 PM
Senna
Visiting Guest
Thans everyone for your reply's, That's why I love forums so much!
I rented a pw for $30 for 4 hours. It was a 2500psi. I first sprayed my brick with a mixture of bleach and water. Honestly, I didn't notice that much of a difference. It sure did take the paint of the house though. Which was a main purpose. I made sure not to use it directly on the wood as not to damage the wood. It did wonders on the sidewalk and brick patio.

Thanks again for everyones advise.

My next step is to prime and paint. Has anyone ever rented or used a paint sprayer? I'm looking into doing this. Can you use this for primer and the paint? Will you have to delute the primer?
My local paint store has one to rent for $50 a day and $26 for a tip. Does that sound pretty reasonable??

Senna

Old 04-03-02, 07:27 PM
Y
sprayer

well i will answer the easy questions first
yes you can use for primer and paint
it may need to be thinned, depending on type and quality of paint as well as the machine

now the hard part
have you ever used a spray machine?
is it an airless you are talking about
first SAFETY-you can be seriously hurt if not used properly
these machines give about 20-40% overspray- that means it will go somewhere else than on the house
house spraying is a very difficult process-all cars, shrubs, your driveway, your neighbours stuff and on and on MUST be covered
please tell us why u want to use a sprayer
what kind of wood is your house(siding?)
let us know
cheers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: