power roller vs. old-fashioned roller

Old 03-31-02, 01:47 PM
catey
Visiting Guest
Question power roller vs. old-fashioned roller

I'd like to repaint most of the rooms in my home and would like to invest in good-quality tools. Are the power rollers (electric rollers that apply paint directly from the can) that I see on the market today any good? I absolutely hate having to walk over to the pan and constantly dip my roller in it . The power rollers seem much more convenient, but are they as good or better than doing it the old-fashioned way? Are they hard to handle and does the paint go on evenly? Are replacement rollers just as easy to find as regular ones?

Thanks,
Catherine

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-02, 04:46 PM
catey
Visiting Guest
Anyone?

Old 04-03-02, 09:17 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi there
there are a few things to consider here
first is how much do you want to spend they range from $50 for a wagner to 600 for a graco. will you ever use it again?
if it does not have a tank u will still have to carry a gallon around
the power rollers need a little practice for a even coat, it tends to supply to much paint and most people dont realize, this is easily fixed by "working the paint"
are all the rooms different colours? if they are u will have to clean the machine each time
the rollers are about 3-4 times more expensive than a regular one
and sometimes hard to find
if i could give you my honest opinion, you should not bother with the gadgets, do it the old fashion way. After you brush in a room it only takes about 20 min to roll it.
to set up your machine, thin it (which is usually needed in machines) and clean the machine and roller you will be adding at least an hour to each room.
the cheaper machines are not usually time savers because you cannot use an extension pole
if you paint 8 rooms youve just wasted a day of beers
hope i helped

Old 04-09-02, 05:16 PM
Lauraa
Visiting Guest
PaintStick is worth mentioning

Hi,
I used a PaintStick (that is the brand name) to paint just about every room in my house. It has a long siphon tube that you fill up with the paint and the paint feeds into the roller. Its much easier to clean up after than a roller and a paint pan IMO. The painting went quickly and neatly. There are attachments for doing the cutting in, but I feel using a brush gave better results. PaintStick cost $30 and had a video explaining use and cleaning. You don't need a ladder unless you have very tall ceilings. I bought it at a local paint store, but I have seen it at HD. My hubbie was VERY skeptical, but after he tried it, he agreed it was a big time saver. Also very handy for painting ceilings!

Laura