Ergh ... Painting Bathroom Ceiling

Old 04-03-02, 06:05 PM
woof
Visiting Guest
Ergh ... Painting Bathroom Ceiling

I thought I'd adequately prepped my bathroom ceiling before attempting to paint (scraped where paint seemed to be loose and sanded or applied skim coat to level off). Unfortunately, as I began to apply the first coat, the existing paint came off in various spots as I rolled over it. Now I'm worse off than when I started!! QUESTION: What is the easiest, most effective way to scrape off the existing paint? It's an absolute bear trying to scrape it off with a putty knife! OR perhaps I should just continue to paint it and see it peel off before my eyes. Oh ... ya ... hoo. Then ... with what should I prime and paint? Do those little packages of moisture/mildew inhibiter work when mixing with paint. (I hope so because I've already mixed it with my Benny Moore latex wall paint). Already bought a gallon of B.M. Fresh Start latex primer as well. I hope I didn't waste money as well as precious time.

Look forward to hear from you ... I think.

Old 04-03-02, 06:25 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
more info please

how old is your home?
what is the ceiling made of ? plaster? drywall?
Do you have moisture problems?

this could be happening for several reasons
if there are many coats of cheap paint, the new paint will soften the old coating(s) and resultin the old coming off, usually on your roller

another reason could be plaster was not prepared properly when applied and has caused the plaster to chalk and now when you put on the new coating, the weightof it is enough to pull the old paint off since the chalking has never established a proper bond

other reasons could be-substrate was never primed-painted during cold or damp conditions

if i was to give advice on what i know at this point- i would moisten ceiling with water and scrape, use sand screen, possibly use a chemical stripper depending on substrate-wipe ceiling down with damp rag with varsol-prime with oil -now repair damage with spackle prime repairs with latex or oil and topcoat with product of your choice.

hope this helps

Old 04-03-02, 07:31 PM
woof
Visiting Guest
Thanks

It will help indeed. Although, I'm sorry to hear it will be so involved. I suspect there was a dampness problem at one point before we bought the (35 yr old) house last year. Since moving in, we've installed an extractor fan.

You are spot on though, the old paint is coming right off with the roller. Not sure what this "substrate" is that you refer to. I'll have to do some research.

Thanks again.

Old 04-03-02, 07:53 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
substrate

all i mean by substrate is the surface we are working on-in this case drywall or plaster would be the substrate
cheers

Old 04-04-02, 04:59 AM
woof
Visiting Guest
Re@ substrate

Right then,

I suspect the ceiling is plaster, as it has a very hard outer surface (not a paper-like surface with soft(er) inner). Would the harder, less-porous plaster allow me to use a chemical to remove the existing paint? I hope so, because it will virtually take forever to wet and scrape, wet and scrape, etc. Time is of the essence ... expecting a baby within the month's end. Have many other things to do as well. Unfortunately, painters are hard to come by these days. Particularly for a single bathroom.

Thanks yet again

Old 04-04-02, 05:29 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
woof...if you wish, you can scrape and sand the ceiling...whatever will come off, will...what resists your efforts will hang in there...feather-sand the craters so they're less noticeable, damp rag to remove the dust, allow to dry....prime with an oil, a good one (ie Moore's 200-00 sealer)...leave for a day, then topcoat with your latex...two thin coats a day apart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: