staining screen porch

Old 04-07-02, 08:13 AM
clellandm
Visiting Guest
Question staining screen porch

We recently had a cedar screen porch put on our house and need to stain it. The outside must match our house, so it needs to be a solid color stain, but we would like to use a clear wood protectant on the interior so we can enjoy the beauty of the wood.

So I really have a 3-part question: 1. The outside - do we prime before staining, and what kind of primer is best for cedar? 2. The inside - what is good 'clear' protection that will be easy to maintain? The carpenter said to just use Thomson's, but that didn't sound right to me. 3. Application - Is a brush the best tool for this job?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-02, 08:28 AM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
Exterior...prime with a quality oil/linseed-based primer. Inside...maybe you don't need anything there, were you talking walls/floor, both? Cedar takes the weather very well at any rate. Thompson's is a poor product, full of silicone. Difficult to recoat with any other finish until stripped. What 'maintainence' do you require inside? If very little, leave the cedar alone. There is a product I have used that will not peel, called 'Raincoat' by Para Paints (www.para.com), not the other 'raincoat' product you hear about. It is slightly ambered to resist UV, linseed oil-based and lasts about 5 years outside, then another coat to maintain it. Makes the wood look as when it is wet, a slightly deeper tone. Brushing is probably the best way to apply any product on your job. Hope this helps some and others will contribute as well.