Paint Smell removal

Old 04-10-02, 11:42 AM
TracyReese
Visiting Guest
Angry Paint Smell removal

Help! How do I get rid of that awful new-paint smell? We painted over 5 days ago with Porter, washable paint and it's still so strong we can't sleep in there. The windows have been open and the fan going for 5 full days. Help!
Tracy

Old 04-10-02, 02:15 PM
KeithP
Visiting Guest
At this point Tracy...nothing that I know of, short of masking the odor with another one...in time, and with ventilation, it will go away...even if it was an oil. Sorry.

Old 04-17-02, 09:02 AM
kellieae
Visiting Guest
Put a few live plants in the room, leave the windows open and the fan on. We are expecting a baby and we just put in new carpet and painted the room, so the smell was REALLY strong. I put 6 big ivy plants in the nursery and a few more around the house, and the smell has really improved. I don't know exactly how it works, but the plants apparently clean the air. Just give it a little time.

Old 04-17-02, 09:34 PM
leonavid
Visiting Guest
Heat makes things dry and outgas faster. If you have some way of heating the room - space heater, vent for central heating - turn it on with the doors and windows closed. Then make sure you air the room well before you go in it! It will make the smell worse while it's heating, but make it go away faster.

In the future, try using less toxic paint. Major paint companies like Kelly Moore and others are now making zero-VOC paints (only in latex though; can't get them in oil-based paints) and they have a lot less smell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: