wallpaper removal

Old 04-11-02, 01:30 PM
tdykema
Visiting Guest
Question wallpaper removal

I want to redo my bathroom with paint. The previous owners put up wallpaper, directly to the drywall i think. How can I remove the paper without wrecking the wall?

Old 04-11-02, 05:51 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old 04-12-02, 06:55 AM
tdykema
Visiting Guest
Bathroom wall

Thanks for the info, but the existing paper has been peeling because, I assume, from the moisture. If I paint over the paper, won't it happen again?

Old 04-12-02, 12:36 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The peeling may be failure of the paste due to moisture. Since this paper is in a bathroom, that would be my guess. 99% of consumers believe that the fan in a bathroom should only be used after "#2". The primary purpose of the fan or natural ventilation via a window is to remove humidity. The moist shower air causes wallpaper failure and mold on paint. Cut to the chase.....use the fan during and for several minutes after a shower.

What you need to do from this point on is to remove all the peeling paper that you can. You will likely remove the bad areas in full and remove quite a bit of the wallpaper facing. Like in the previous post, it is always better to strip the paper first!

If stripping is causing damage, ensure you fix all the rough areas, seams, dings, and holes with joint compound. This will take time, practice, and sanding. If you use one of the primers listed in the referred to post, you will then have difficulty driving a tank through the wall. Those specific primers are new on the market and few people know about them. They were originally designed as sealers for concrete block! If they keep moisture from propogating through a concrete block, they will be a tremendous overkill for your weak drywall.

The possibility that the painted over paper will peel again does exist. But, using the techniques described in the post will assure you that you have done all you can. If you take a short cut, I can guarantee failure. I have described the best solution that I am aware of, if there are any better, I would like to know.
Best of luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: