varniching

Old 04-16-02, 04:51 PM
Herman
Visiting Guest
varniching

I want to varnish a oak staircase and I want to know when do I patch the nail holes? Some say before first coat some say later after the first two coats. This is a staircase that is brand new, no finish on it so far. I plan on putting 5 coats of oil base varnish on the staircase. Please I need help on this job. Also what I used on other jobs was Miricle wood to fill the holes and applied before I varnished and a stain came up where I applied the Miricle wood to the nail hole. Can anyone help me? Soon because I have to do it before people walk all over the oak and get it dirt!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-02, 07:19 PM
tsparky79
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up varniching stair case

I just did a spiral stair case about a month ago.OK you need to make sure it's sanded very smoothe.If you are going to stain your wood get wood putty to match your stain.If you are not staining it ,just sealing it get wood putty to match your oak.But a word of advice it might say oak as color and it still might match so do a spot step back and look at it if it does not match like you want it to you can get a lighter or darker color putty and mix with it. If you have to do this just mix a small amount till you get the color you want, save this peice to go by and try and mix enough to do the whole stair case useing your small peice to go by to get the right color. Then putty your holes make sure you rub them smoothe.Then go to town putting your varnich on make sure you wait proper drying time in between coats, very important.I hope this helps you get your job done